What's new

Criterion TRAFFIC: 2-disc SE (5/28) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Video Business reports that USA Home Video has entered its first deal with the Criterion Collection for a 2-disc special edition of Stephen Soderbergh's Traffic.
The special edition, which hits stores May 28, will retail $39.95 and will be released through USA, not Criterion.
No disc specs quite yet, though.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
This is awesome news, thanks Patrick!
USA Home Video has entered its first deal with the Criterion Collection for a 2-disc special edition of Stephen Soderbergh's Traffic.
Interesting! So how will this work. Criterion do the supplements and transfer, but its released with USA packaging (i.e. without the quintessential Criterion Collection banner :frowning: )
Whatever it looks like, I'm all over this one! :D:emoji_thumbsup:

MikeAW

Second Unit
I was in Circuit City this weekend and saw it on sale for $14.99...but I wasn't that tempted, I just picked up the 2DVD "Traffick" box, instead.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Were there any general complaints about the original disc? Seems like a fine transfer to me--of a very recent film. Why is Criterion getting involved? What's the story, man?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Criterion's deal with USA Home Entertainment is probably the same as Criterion's deal with Buena Vista Home Entertainment.

Criterion oversees the supplement, menu design, and cover artwork production of the DVD. USA Home Entertainment provides the video prints/transfers and soundmixes. Criterion gets approval from the director. Then USA Home Entertainment handles distribution and packaging.

This is how Buena Vista Home Entertainment's deal works with Criterion. Criterion does not market the DVD, BVHE does. All titles from BVHE's vaults are distributed by BVHE.

Horatio Jones

Stunt Coordinator
not trying to thread crap, but I'm not that excited. I thought Traffic was a fine movie but certainly not the epic it was made out to be. So many times it was said to be the best movie epic since The Godfather. C'mon Traffic was good but as good as the Godfather, surely you jest. Anyhoot, I think i'll keep my original DVD.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
not trying to thread crap, but I'm not that excited.
Then why comment at all? This is not a thread about the quality of the film, only about the SE that is on the way. In reading the thread I didn't see anyone mention it in the same breath as the Godfather, so I can figure out why you posted at all.

Back to the topic -

I would assume that this distribution deal is similar to BVHE deal with Rushmore and Chasing Amy. Which were both distributed by Disney. Which is why we have the ability to buy a two-pack of Rushmore/High Fidelity for $30 and why Chasing Amy is getting a price drop and soon to be available for around $15. Criterion covers and production but essentially Disney products.

-Chad

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
not trying to thread crap
uh, I hate to break it to you... but you just did. If you don't want to make a comment about the DVD release, don't post it here... post it in the 'MOVIES' forum.
AWWW DAMN! If this is true I am really mad... I just got this movie the other day from Blockbuster PVDed, well, I think the current DVD is ok with me unless the SE is truely 'revolutionary' :D (oh, who am I kidding, this will surely find its way into my collection ;) )

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I picked up Traffic last Fall, so I'm in no rush to get a new version. Especially if it sells for $40 (yeah, I'm cheap).

But if the additional material and features are substantial, I might be swayed. I'm a sucker for a good commentary or documentary.

Any guesses as the new content?

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I presume it will have at least a DTS track (already on the R2 and R3 releases), the deleted scenes from the R2 release and, hopefully, a commentary from Soderbergh and Stephen Gaghan. If it's anything like Soderbergh's commentary with Lem Dobbs on The Limey it will be a hoot.

John O

Stunt Coordinator
I will probably grab this disc. Just got rid of my other copy :). Does the USA- Criterion relationship clear the way for the much anticipated The Game SE? Hope so!

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Do you mean The Game: Criterion Collection DVD that is being released on 04/23/02?
Speculation at best... ;)
But I sure hope so. If not in April then sometime soon. This deal between USA-Criterion on Traffic does bode very, very well for The Game to see the light of day.
-Chad

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
We were only talking about this last week and the possibility of a SE and that it will probably take a long time. This is definately good news, When that SE is released it will have been a year since the first release, and i've had some very good use out it. If this has a Soderbergh commentary (which i'm sure it will), i'll be all over this. It's without a doubt my favorite movie of the past 5 years. I would prefer it if this disc was in the actually Criterion Collection but i'll be satisfied either way.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I don't know what to think.
It's certainly a very good movie, but I can't help but think that the resources used on this title could be used elsewhere instead.
The current Traffic DVD is very good, even though it is lacking in supplements. I would much rather see Criterion handle a title that either doesn't exist on DVD, or is out on DVD but has a poor transfer.
Just another re-release in SE form... nothing to get excited about.

Horatio Jones

Stunt Coordinator
for the record i did comment on the release. i specifically said that I own the original release and that while the movie was good it was not tremendous enough to purchase again. I was simply stating my opinion. Is that not aloud?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks