What's new

Criterion TRAFFIC: 2-disc SE (5/28) (1 Viewer)

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Has anyone found out how to turn on the english subtitles yet? There's no menu option for doing this, unless I'm overlooking it somewhere.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
Has anyone found out how to turn on the english subtitles yet? There's no menu option for doing this, unless I'm overlooking it somewhere.
I saw somewhere (either on disc one or the packaging itself) that there are no computer-generated subtitles at the director's request. The subtitles for the spanish-language scenes are those that were on the print itself. As for english subtitles for the whole film, i have not seen them yet, either.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I doubled checked the disc 1 and still couldn't find any english subtitles. The back of the packaging towards the bottom says eng. subs for the hard of hearing, etc. Since that's what I am, that's why I even care. Kind of weird there's no closed captioning either, I thought that was a standard by now at least.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
My copy is on its way, so I can't say for sure, but I do know that many Criterion discs, that do have subtitles, don't have a "Subtitle On/Off" menu. You can then only acces them by pressing the subtitle key on your remote control after you start the movie.

DarrenA

Second Unit
Mark is exactly right! To access the English subtitles, simply start the movie as normal, then select the "Subtitle" button on your DVD remote and then you will have English subtitles appear.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Oh ok, I should have figured that out by myself then! But usually I just go through the menu option. Thanks....

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The time and care that's devoted to the "less glamorous" aspects of filmmaking (i.e. dialog editing, color timing, etc.) is astounding.
Agreed. And the segments are extremely well-designed, a real tribute to the educational possibilities of the medium in the hands of thoughtful, dedicated people.

The demonstration showing the various stages of processing for the Mexico scenes should be required viewing for all those who routinely complain about poor mastering whenever there's the slightest hint of grain.

M.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Where was the layer change during this movie? Either Criteron did an amazing job with it (which I've no doubt), or they're using some sort of crazy new hidden layer change technique. Usually I can spot the change pretty easily on my sony 530d.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Wow!

I finally took the time to look at some of this DVD and put in disc 2. Holy smokes is that awesome stuff. The demonstration stuff goes WAAAYY beyond what you usually get.

I mean actually seeing the software (like the AVID for film editing) in use (kinda) and seeing very detailed insights into the filmmaking process. Plus the deleted scenes commentary is very good, as has become typical of a Soderbergh commentary. His are playfully funny at times, though never the comedy of a Kevin Smith, but he excels in explaining his thought process in the production of the film. He's one of the best at it.

Truly a supurb set that makes me happy to have traded my old version in for this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks