Criterion Samurai 1,2,& 3.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry AZ, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

Anybody have these movies? I've never seen them, but after hearing that Shogun will most likely never get to DVD, and remembering how interesting feudal Japan is, I'm thinking about getting them.(Whoa, long sentence. [​IMG] )
    Any other good Samurai movies out there?

2. Michael Dehaven

Michael Dehaven Stunt Coordinator

go to www.mrqe.com
    These are pretty good films, an acquired taste I think.There is also Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress, Sanjuro, and Yojimbo. All those are from Kurosawa and Criterion.

3. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Yojimbo

Sanjuro

Seven Samurai

Hidden Fortress

These are all by Akira Kurosawa and are available on DVD by way of the Criterion Collection. If you like Samurai movies, these are MUST see!!

edit: Michael beat me to it!

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

The Samurai trilogy has been on my must-buy list for a long time. I really need to pony up the dough for them! While we're on the subject, anyone else want to see Gate of Hell on dvd?

5. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the link Michael, I haven't seen that site before. I'm new to the HT area and I think I'm in trouble. Before discovering HTF, getting rid of my old Technics two channel system, and getting my 595, JBL and sub, I only had three DVD's. Now I've bought ten in the last month![​IMG]
    Damn this forum. What have you done to me![​IMG]

6. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

The Samurai trilogy is fantastic! Okay, so we haven't watched part three yet (which is supposed to be the best of the three), but the first two were spectacular. The only problem I had was that the film is a bit dark, especially during the action sequences. The story and the acting is great, though.

If you're interested in these three, I would also recommend Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Sanjuro & Chushingura. DVD Planet currently has their Criterion discs on sale, so the investment won't be as painful right now.