What's new

criterion rules of the game review (1 Viewer)

R. Kay

Second Unit
Attn: Reviewer :

You should capitalize the movie title in the Subject Header for it to stand out better.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
For some reason, I've only now gotten around to picking up the DVD, and the film is as masterful as ever. With Seven Samurai, this was the film that opened my eyes to the classics of world cinema. Its been seven years since I first saw Rules of the Game, and in all that subsequent time of Sight & Sound lists and film school and TCM, it remains rare indeed that I experience a film to match it (but then, the search for new cinema "highs" is what this hobby is all about, right? :)).

I do have one concern, however. My set did not contain a traditional Criterion booklet (outside of a folded sheet detailing their catalogue of titles). I haven't examined the supplements too closely, so perhaps the normal essays/transfer notes/credits are on Disc 2 somewhere. If not, and if there should indeed be a booklet, then it looks like I require a return trip to Borders to exchange it for a complete set.

Evan

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
The Criterion ROTG definitely should contain a (12-page) booklet. I'd contact the retailer for a replacement.

Wayne Earl

Grip
Absolutely Evan; except its an extensive 24 page booklet that is very informative, although a little hard too read the white on silvery grey background.The contents are briefly described at the bottom of the back of the packaging.Definitely return your copy as this is a really nice booklet and Criterion classy.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Criterion's design people have a habit of making their booklets unreadable; if it's not a microscopic font, it's silver type on a grey background. I'm not sure if they're completely clueless, or if they're from the school of "This is serious art, so get eyestrain, sit bolt upright and button that top button." It wouldn't be so bad if they were 2 or 3 pages, but when it's a 40-page book done in this manner I find myself ready to throw it across the room.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Thanks guys, returned it this afternoon (in a blizzard, no less!). I had to settle for store credit, with a new copy special ordered to arrive in a week or two, but at least I'll have the complete package then.

Evan

RonOlszewski

Auditioning
I love the dedication Criterion inspires in us fanatic collector-types: "AHHHH!! THE BOOKS IS MISSING! QUICK, TO THE STORE TO RETURN IT! I CARE NOT A WHIT FOR THE BLIZZARD THAT'S RAGING OUTSIDE; WOE IS ME, MY CRITERION IS INCOMPLETE!" :D

The only DVDs I will blind-buy are Criterion; I've never once been disappointed (58 and counting).

WillardK

Second Unit
For fans, Rules of the Game is the type of film that makes you fall in love with film all over again each time you see it. This was a most anticipated release and it was worth the wait!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks