What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Rules of the Game (1939) (4k UHD Combo) (1 Viewer)

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
With respect, that’s just one opinion. To my eyes, there is a huge difference between the Universal Blu-ray and the Arrow Blu-ray, as we discussed when the release first came out. I haven’t seen the UHD.

Indeed, we did previously discuss this, with screenshots. I'm still not seeing the huge difference you do, but this isn't a thread about that movie so I'll let it go.

As for Rules of the Game, I have a hard time understanding the point of a UHD release given the condition of the surviving elements.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Because the negative was blown to smitheerens by the Nazis and even the best surviving copies of Gaborit and Durand's reconstruction have only slightly better resolution than DVD. I know this because I have it on dvd, I have it on blu-ray, and in fact have seen it theatrically. Rules of the Game is not a feast for the eyes...at all.

Also in the liner notes of the previous release Criterion basically said the fine grain (which must have been fifth or sixth gen) they used was literally the best they could find and the results speak for themselves.
I’ve seen it theatrically and I have the blu. I’m not the most qualified person to judge the image, but I think there’s no doubt that it’s one of the greatest films ever made. It definitely deserves the best presentation possible

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
The first time i viewed the film was way back when my local Blockbuster was renting laserdiscs and Criterion released it and now i have the two laserdisc versions i purchased on my shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks