What's new

Criterion releases for March 2005 (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Maybe someone should make a movie called "Box Art Coming Soon," just so everyone can think it's a Criterion release. Well, OK, maybe not. :D

I didn't even know they were doing a release of Jules and Jim, a movie that I actually haven't seen, so I'll have to check that out when it's released.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Paul, timing is everything. ;)

I inserted the link to the Jules and Jim coverart image in my post.

I'm all over The Eclipse (too bad it's only a single disc release... so far) and Jules and Jim.

Antonioni and Truffaut in the same month is a nice way to force some wallets open.

David Jay

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info, Marc! I've heard only great things about Jules et Jim, so I'm sure to blind buy it on release. Always up for more Renoir, and Young Torless sounds pretty good (awesome cover). I've never seen any Antonioni, but this disc sure sounds packed. Already shaping up to be another great year..Bring on some more Bergman!

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I know nothing about it, but I doubt you can go wrong with a movie titled The Sword of Doom. Cool cover, too.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I had no idea "Jules et Jim" was in the offing! Great news about "L'Eclisse", too. Has anybody seen "The Sword of Doom"? Like Matt, I've never heard of it either... but color me interested!

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
Oh goodness... I'll definitely buy "Jules and Jim" and probably "L'Ecclise," but the rest I'll add to my Netflix queue. I love Criterion, and am usually willing to buy their films blind, but I just can't afford all of these DVDs...

Frank*C

Grip
Add the Andrzej Wajda 3 War Films Box Set to March's releases which includes A Generation, Ashes and Diamonds and Kanal.

BOX SET SPECIAL FEATURES:

New, restored high-definition digital transfers

Audio commentary by film scholar Annette Insdorf on Ashes and Diamonds

Exclusive new interviews on each film with Andrzej Wajda, assistant director Janusz Morgenstern, and film critic Jerzy Plazewski

Vintage newsreel on the making of Ashes and Diamonds

Ceramics from Ilza (Ceramika Ilzecka), Wajda’s 1951 film school short

Rare behind-the-scenes production photos, publicity stills, and posters for all three films

A gallery of Andrzej Wajda’s original drawings and paintings

New and improved English subtitle translations

Plus: New essays by film scholars and critics Ewa Mazierska, John Simon, and Paul Coates

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

Yes I hope Criterion will release 'Face To Face' in 2005 - this would be a great follow-up to their superb sets of 'Scenes From A Marriage' and 'Fanny And Alexander', not to mention all their other Bergman releases.

The March line-up from Criterion is awesome - Jules and Jim, L'eclisse and the Wajda trilogy in one month! Can the rest of the year get any better than this!?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

I remember reading that a week ago, but assumed the specs mentioned on the DVD features page meant it was only a 1-discer. But I think you're right, since their features aren't always accurate at first.

Should be a nice release.

NeilK

Stunt Coordinator
When is the new, re-mastered PLAYTIME coming out!!!
On another note - cool releases, didn't think Jules and Jim was so close on the horizon. The Sword of Doom looks like definite blind-buy material... flippin' cool cover art!

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Of course the total winner in this group is the one people here keep ignoring - The River. A wonderful picture, with great photography and simple poetic direction. A masterpiece - very excited to see the transfer.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Re: Sword of Doom - YES!!!!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :D

I knew Janus had the rights and have been hoping for a Criterion version for years. Since the extras are a bit light I do hope this has the lower Criterion price-point.

A heads up to any other fans of Sword of Doom, Okamoto's Samurai Assassin is coming from Animeigo in Feb.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It's also Martin Scorsese's favourite Renoir picture - which is why I'm thrilled Criterion have him talking about it on the disc.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll also recommend The River. I haven't actually seen it in years, but remember it as being very good.

Great effin' news on the Wajda set - now I know why my Spidey sense told me to hold off on getting the current releases of Kanal and Ashes and Diamonds. :)

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Great ! I have been looking forward to L'Eclisse and Jules and Jim for a long time. I don't know why L'Eclisse took so long because the Martin Scorsese documentary My Voyage to Italy featured clips from a nearly pristine print.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Bumping to show the newly added Jules et Jim coverart:

I like it, but I still prefer the original artwork for the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks