What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
fdD4Lk4KeFdh5gGU3xwYImxc9kzoO6_large.jpg
Existentialism goes pop in this benchmark of atomic-age science fiction, a superlative adaptation of a novel by the legendary Richard Matheson that has awed and unnerved generations of viewers with the question, What is humanity’s place amid the infinity of the universe? Six months after being exposed to a mysterious radiation cloud, suburban everyman Scott Carey (Grant Williams) finds himself becoming smaller . . . and smaller . . . and smaller—until he’s left to fend for himself in a world in which ordinary cats, mousetraps, and spiders pose a mortal threat, all while grappling with a diminishing sense of himself. Directed by the prolific creature-feature impresario Jack Arnold with ingenious optical effects and a transcendent metaphysical ending, The Incredible Shrinking Man gazes with wonder and trepidation into the unknowable vastness of the cosmic void.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 81 minutes
  • Black & White
  • 1.85:1
  • English
  • Spine #1100

SPECIAL FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • New audio commentary featuring genre-film historian Tom Weaver and horror-music expert David Schecter
  • New program on the film’s special effects by effects experts Craig Barron and Ben Burtt
  • New conversation between filmmaker Joe Dante and comedian and writer Dana Gould
  • Auteur on the Campus: Jack Arnold at Universal (Director’s Cut) (2021)
  • Interview from 2016 with Richard Christian Matheson, novelist and screenwriter Richard Matheson’s son
  • Interview with director Jack Arnold from 1983
  • 8 mm home-cinema version from 1957
  • Trailer and teaser narrated by filmmaker Orson Welles
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien

New cover by Adam Maida

Coming soon, available Oct 19, 2021

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another purchase even though I have two earlier Blu-ray releases from the UK and Germany.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Very tempting. Weaver always does a good commentary.
Yeah, all the extras look good and for a modern-day disc, they're quite plentiful. Joe Dante and Dad Gould are very knowledgeable about these movies. Ben Burtt and Craig Barron certainly know their stuff. And the Ballyhoo documentary on Arnold's Universal career (he did the best of Universal's 50's sci-fi movies) sounds outstanding.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As this haunting film has always been one of my personal favorites, I don't know why I never got around to ordering the Blu-ray from Europe, but I didn't, and now I'll just hope to enjoy this release with these wonderful bonus materials.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Why do these 4K restorations if they aren’t released in 4K?
Is it necessary?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yeah I know. I’m just copying what it says in the description up there.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Is it necessary?

I think Robert Harris said that reasons for the different K's is that some films can't be restored at the higher number due to the condition the film's original camera negatives are in.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Is it necessary?
They're done to create digital masters that can be used for everything across the board - theatrical screenings, streaming, television. Physical disc releases are an afterthought at this point.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have the Arrow release but I am 99% sure Im getting this, and anticipate Criterion improving upon it. But will also read reviews (from reputable reviewers) just to make sure it really is an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks