What's new

Criterion Press Release: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World (Dual Format) (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The difference being that we have a very good accounting of how many prints were made and where they went etc. The other issue is that very likely any print found at this point unless perfectly stored would be so deteriorated or faded as to be useless. So this is going to be the best we ever get of the long roadshow version.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
The short theatrical blu in the box set is a new 4K scan, isn't that right? The existingMGM blu is vey nice and I prefer the shorter theatrical. But I do want to see this "best possible" reconstruction of the premiere version. But on the long haul, like one a year, the theatrical version will be my choice.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'm guessing that could be a fold-out booklet (to showcase the other Jack Davis artwork). If you account for perspective, the Zaitochi box is just a bit taller than the Blu case, perhaps DVD height and about the same dimension in depth.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
battlebeast said:
Can someone post the photo WITHOUT using instagram? I can see it on my phone or computer... I hate instagram.
gallery_286742_34_182013.jpg

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'm wondering with the move to Dual Format they might be moving to a whole new style of packaging and that's what we're seeing there. Very curious, and in any case we may begin to see what's in store with next month's releases.

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
Ray H said:
I'm happy for everyone here. I've never seen this film before, and honestly don't know if it's my cup of tea. But considering the love it gets from these boards and the terrific job Criterion and everyone seems to have done, I'll be sure to pick it up. :)
I suggest you watch the 154 minute general release version first to get the best impression of the film. Then tackle the longer version for comparison.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Ray Faiola said:
I suggest you watch the 154 minute general release version first to get the best impression of the film. Then tackle the longer version for comparison.
The general release version have various running times the 2001 DVD is 161min. and the 2012 Blu-ray is 159min. I don't think I've ever seen a 154min. version unless it's an older VHS or Beta.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Ray Faiola said:
All the actual film prints (until recent special bookings) - 35mm and 16mm - run 154 minutes. That's why that running time sticks in my head. The film prints do not have the program music.
By program music, you mean the Overture, Intermission/Enteract, and Exit Music?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
If I may jump in, I'd say, yes, that's what he means.

Those three "music only" parts of the movie add up to approximately 7 to 8 minutes.

Sooooooo ---

The 161 running time (which was what was shown as the "roadshow version," after the cuts were made) includes all three.

The 154 running time (which was what was shown in the non-roadshow general release, and on television) includes none of the three.

The 159 running time of the Blu-ray is due to the Entr'acte being missing.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I'm sure you all want to read Mark Evanier's report on the 50th Anniversary showing of MAD WORLD that was held Sunday at the Cinerama Dome in Los Angeles.

I'm sure some of you will want to watch the video of the panel discussion he includes in his report -- that is, if you can take Mickey Rooney.

Mickey has always rambled incoherently, but now at the age of 93 it's really disastrous. They need to just flat-out stop inviting him to these discussions, even if he is one of the very, very last survivors of the movie. His "memories" of what happened are 100% wrong, so he adds nothing but confusion to the history of the movie.

http://www.newsfromme.com/2013/10/29/sailing-right/

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Several years ago Rooney and his wife were doing a "Evening With" kind of program in a small Manhattan theater. One stipulation for the audience was that no one was allowed to leave once the program started! I doubt if it could have been enforced. So, instead of "No Smoking," "No Leaving!"

^_^

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Joe Lugoff said:
Mickey has always rambled incoherently, but now at the age of 93 it's really disastrous. They need to just flat-out stop inviting him to these discussions, even if he is one of the very, very last survivors of the movie. His "memories" of what happened are 100% wrong, so he adds nothing but confusion to the history of the movie.

http://www.newsfromme.com/2013/10/29/sailing-right/
Is he still insisting Mickey Mouse was named after him?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Joe Lugoff said:
The 154 running time (which was what was shown in the non-roadshow general release, and on television) includes none of the three.
Except for TCM's which has all three as it's from the 90 or 95 VHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks