What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion Press Release: Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Awful packaging. There isn't a single shelf tall enough for me to put this on and discs are always at risk when jammed this way. The companies who design these gimmick packages that are not user-friendly should have their heads examined.

Disagree a million times over. If its a problem for you it's a $4 fix at Amazon. The rest of the people who buy this are going to treasure having something so meaty that could not possibly have been done in a simple keep case.

Still trying to figure out if Criterion is sending me one for review. If not I know what I am asking Santa for =)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Disagree a million times over. If its a problem for you it's a $4 fix at Amazon. The rest of the people who buy this are going to treasure having something so meaty that could not possibly have been done in a simple keep case.

Still trying to figure out if Criterion is sending me one for review. If not I know what I am asking Santa for =)

And don't forget that there's a 50% off Criterion sale coming up at B&N next week, supposedly.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ff-criterion-sale.324983/page-52#post-4796790

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

Actually a $12 fix since that's the cheapest for an 8 disc blu-ray that's done perfectly fine in similar sets (World Series annual releases), is shelf friendly and convenient to get the discs out. Getting these out for temporary storage in paper sleeves, I found Disc 8 jammed in to the point where I was worried it was going to require tearing up this vaunted thing just to get the disc out.

I have hated these kind of oversized gimmicks that are all flash and show and no substance for years whether the Man From UNCLE "briefcase" or the Get Smart "phone booth" or similar stuff. And this only confirms what I've disliked about them because they are not conducive to long-term disc health for me.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Is this only available on blu-ray? I'm surprised they're not also releasing it on DVD, though I think the Bergman box-set was blu only, as well.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Seriously does anyone here on this forum buy a dvd when a Blu is available?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I buy DVDs all the time. The quality of DVDs is much better than it used to be. With modern TV shows and anamorphic stuff, it isn't easy to tell the difference with normal viewing. There is a whole world on DVD that doesn't exist on blu-ray.

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I buy DVDs all the time. The quality of DVDs is much better than it used to be. With modern TV shows and anamorphic stuff, it isn't easy to tell the difference with normal viewing. There is a whole world on DVD that doesn't exist on blu-ray.
I get that of course. But do you buy a DVD when a Blu Ray is available is my question.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There’s an entire sub forum over on Blu-ray.com of people buying DVDs.
When I ask why they are still buying DVDs when the blu is available I get all snarky remarks as if I’m the one who is out of touch.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There’s an entire sub forum over on Blu-ray.com of people buying DVDs.
When I ask why they are still buying DVDs when the blu is available I get all snarky remarks as if I’m the one who is out of touch.

Too funny! I'm sorry, but assuming the source data is the same, a Blu-ray will beat out a DVD any day of the week, usually by a large margin.

But, that's a discussion for a different thread, not this one.

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
Awful packaging. There isn't a single shelf tall enough for me to put this on and discs are always at risk when jammed this way. The companies who design these gimmick packages that are not user-friendly should have their heads examined.

I hate the packaging. Hate it. I ended up propping my set on shelf alongside some other chunky DVD boxed sets, but regardless, getting the discs out of those slots is already irritating me to no end. I rather have the book as a separate item, with the discs in a standard plastic case (or two). In fact, it would be wonderful (although unlikely) if Criterion made such a case available for those of us who don't enjoy this particular, offbeat presentation.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I hate the packaging. Hate it. I ended up propping my set on shelf alongside some other chunky DVD boxed sets, but regardless, getting the discs out of those slots is already irritating me to no end. I rather have the book as a separate item, with the discs in a standard plastic case (or two). In fact, it would be wonderful (although unlikely) if Criterion made such a case available for those of us who don't enjoy this particular, offbeat presentation.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=8+disc+blu-ray+case&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I love the packaging but it is really tall - I wasn't able to place it in the spot intended. It seems like it should be a coffee table set. It doesn't align well with current Blu ray and DVD sets because of the height. Still it's a thing of beauty. but I really have to figure a place to lay it down / or find a better place to display the damn thing !! :D

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor

6193D0AA-A5FE-49CA-A8D1-527C200DFF2A-1326-00000242D1AF400F_zpsc3c7aa9d.jpg

Here's seven cases and a booklet. I don't see why the big book couldn't have been shrunken down with one case holding two discs (if somehow restricted to these box set dimensions). I get it's Godzilla, so "big book," but it doubles as an excuse here to do studio release packaging. Criterion typically focuses elsewhere for their customers.

Just my two cents.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You are missing the point. There is no shrinking it down because it's suppooossssed to be a big meaty over indulgent release. It's Spine 1000. It's Godzilla, the king of monsters. It's supposed to be badass, not compromised.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Well, I acknowledged the likely point. Different priorities for different folks I guess. As a book it does look nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks