What's new

Criterion Collection to release Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yeah, but when?

They have the rights to a whole boatload of titles that theoretically they are preparing for release. It could be years before we see this title (or any of the dozens that they also own).

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Some folks have said it's fake but others have said it's real. He seems to have some real celebrities following him.

Vincent

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The film is a mediocrity at best and hardly worthy of a Criterion release.

Criterion is sitting on better and more important films.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I doubt Criterion is "sitting" on titles, more likely they are actively working on them. Lots of folks like THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT, BTW.

Vincent

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Richard--W said:
The film is a mediocrity at best and hardly worthy of a Criterion release.

Criterion is sitting on better and more important films.
Jeff Bridges received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in this and Clint Eastwood received enough critical accolades leading him to say that his performance in this particular movie was also nomination-worthy...I believe your harsh assessment of this film is definitely a minority opinion!!!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
lukejosephchung said:
Jeff Bridges received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in this and Clint Eastwood received enough critical accolades leading him to say that his performance in this particular movie was also nomination-worthy...I believe your harsh assessment of this film is definitely a minority opinion!!!

That was the mild version. The performances are about where they should be but so what? That was the job. If you think my opinion of THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT is harsh wait till you hear my opinion of HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Richard--W said:
...If you think my opinion of THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT is harsh wait till you hear my opinion of HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER.
I doubt anybody here cares about your opinion of HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, and why should they?

Vincent

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I'll buy the U.K. release unless Criterion announces something soon. I'm still waiting for Eraserhead and more early Hitchcock.

Just because Criterion releases something also doesn't mean it's good. They have have many mediocre titles in their collection, including Cimino's Heaven's Gate.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Again MGM HD shows a nice version ,a ten dollar MGMUA version would be fine for me ,Criterion releases what it can,,but they have to pay for the rights
plus one has to wait ,while they release every Japanese film known to man

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Vincent_P said:
I doubt anybody here cares about your opinion of HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, and why should they?

Vincent

I don't care for your opinions either, and why should I, but you are free to post them here.

HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER was basically stolen from an obscure Italian spaghetti western Clint thought nobody would remember called THE STRANGER'S GUNDOWN (1969) retitled DJANGO THE BASTARD. Few people saw it when it was new, but it's on DVD now. Clint juggles things around, but I prefer the Italian film, even though it's not as accomplished technically.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Peter Neski said:
Again MGM HD shows a nice version ,a ten dollar MGMUA version would be fine for me ,Criterion releases what it can,,but they have to pay for the rights
plus one has to wait ,while they release every Japanese film known to man

Criterion has become the major distributor of Japanese films in the USA, haven't they.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.