Criterion Collection to release Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
3,606
Real Name
David
Yeah, but when?


They have the rights to a whole boatload of titles that theoretically they are preparing for release. It could be years before we see this title (or any of the dozens that they also own).
 

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2003
Messages
2,058
Some folks have said it's fake but others have said it's real. He seems to have some real celebrities following him.

Vincent
 

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2004
Messages
3,527
Real Name
Richard W
The film is a mediocrity at best and hardly worthy of a Criterion release.

Criterion is sitting on better and more important films.
 

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2003
Messages
2,058
I doubt Criterion is "sitting" on titles, more likely they are actively working on them. Lots of folks like THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT, BTW.

Vincent
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mark Cappelletty

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
1,392
Location
San Francisco, CA., USA
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Richard--W said:
The film is a mediocrity at best and hardly worthy of a Criterion release.

Criterion is sitting on better and more important films.
Jeff Bridges received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in this and Clint Eastwood received enough critical accolades leading him to say that his performance in this particular movie was also nomination-worthy...I believe your harsh assessment of this film is definitely a minority opinion!!!
 

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2004
Messages
3,527
Real Name
Richard W
lukejosephchung said:
Jeff Bridges received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in this and Clint Eastwood received enough critical accolades leading him to say that his performance in this particular movie was also nomination-worthy...I believe your harsh assessment of this film is definitely a minority opinion!!!
That was the mild version. The performances are about where they should be but so what? That was the job. If you think my opinion of THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT is harsh wait till you hear my opinion of HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER.
 

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2003
Messages
2,058
Richard--W said:
...If you think my opinion of THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT is harsh wait till you hear my opinion of HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER.
I doubt anybody here cares about your opinion of HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, and why should they?

Vincent
 
  • Like
Reactions: Moe Dickstein

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jan 6, 2012
Messages
530
Location
Costa Mesa CA
Real Name
Mike
I'll buy the U.K. release unless Criterion announces something soon. I'm still waiting for Eraserhead and more early Hitchcock.

Just because Criterion releases something also doesn't mean it's good. They have have many mediocre titles in their collection, including Cimino's Heaven's Gate.
 

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Joined
Mar 14, 2005
Messages
1,066
Again MGM HD shows a nice version ,a ten dollar MGMUA version would be fine for me ,Criterion releases what it can,,but they have to pay for the rights
plus one has to wait ,while they release every Japanese film known to man
 

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2004
Messages
3,527
Real Name
Richard W
Vincent_P said:
I doubt anybody here cares about your opinion of HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER, and why should they?

Vincent
I don't care for your opinions either, and why should I, but you are free to post them here.

HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER was basically stolen from an obscure Italian spaghetti western Clint thought nobody would remember called THE STRANGER'S GUNDOWN (1969) retitled DJANGO THE BASTARD. Few people saw it when it was new, but it's on DVD now. Clint juggles things around, but I prefer the Italian film, even though it's not as accomplished technically.
 

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2004
Messages
3,527
Real Name
Richard W
Peter Neski said:
Again MGM HD shows a nice version ,a ten dollar MGMUA version would be fine for me ,Criterion releases what it can,,but they have to pay for the rights
plus one has to wait ,while they release every Japanese film known to man
Criterion has become the major distributor of Japanese films in the USA, haven't they.
 

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
345,174
Messages
4,733,133
Members
141,399
Latest member
Industrious