What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
El Norte is my most anticipated DVD ever. As many times as I've seen the movie, I've never seen it in OAR. On Blu-Ray with full supplements is just amazing icing on the cake.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Finally got my hands on THE THIRD MAN (one of my all-time favorite films), and I'm very pleased.... with the actual disc. But the packaging? Ugh. No, double ugh. It's just terrible, soft and flimsy, and bound to fall apart over time (and believe me, I take good care of my discs). Kinda reminds me of the John Coltrane remastered CDs from Impulse! Records, which come in cardboard sleeves instead of standard jewel cases... they look stellar, as long as you never touch them.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Add me to the list of voices very disappointed in the packaging of these Blu Ray titles from Criterion - I too bought "The Third Man" ( umpteenth time for one of my absolute favorite movies ) but damaged the packaging while trying, very carefully, to open it !

I have put the disc into a regular Blu Ray case but don't have an appropriate cover so the "pair" just sit there side by side (same problem with "Baraka").

Criterion - I deeply appreciate the content but please significantly improve the packaging (your identity is unique !)

Regards.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I agree the Packaging is crap,they either should do books like warner ,or

just use standard Blue Ray box,makes the whole thing look cheap

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I have no problem with cardboard and non-standard packaging at all. However, I am concerned that these are just too flimsy. I had two sent by DeepDiscount (in a padded envelope! NO) and one was curved vertically as the mailman shoved it into a pretty full mailbox. The cover and spine were just wrecked.

DeepDiscount sent my replacement in an envelope also. Happily this one was fine, but for now, I think I'll have to avoid using DD for Criterions as long as they use envelopes. Normally you wouldn't have to think about this stuff.

I'm sure Criterion will refine their packaging, and hopefully find a way to make it sturdier.

atwozed

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Zindilis
Correct me if I am wrong,But sadly I have told Criterion Blu Ray titles

are region locked A only bad luck for us B and C's .......

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This is true. The Criterion Blu-rays are Region A only (I've tried to put this information in the review specs each time).

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
That's the only unfortunate thing about Criterion's Blu-Rays. I know they only have the rights to the films for the US most of the times, but now most of the people in Region B and C have to miss out on these wonderful releases. The players can be made region-free, but that still costs a lot of money.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
As is In the Realm of Senses, that has the most graphic (and sensual) sexual scenes I’ve seen in a serious film. Interesting that both this movie and Salò use sex and violence as a commentary on government’s power in their respective societies.

ccfixx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I'm glad to see that "The 400 Blows" has dropped down to $22.49 on Amazon right now... much better than the previous $26.99.

CC

ccfixx

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
The following info was posted by tvrbob86 over in the AVS Forums...
The April 2009 issue of Home Theater Magazine has a nice story on the Criterion Collection and its move into the world of Blu-ray.
A few highlights:
• Criterion's simultaneous Blu-ray releases have made up 30-50% of the titles' total sales vs. the less than 10% typical for big studio films.
• Lee Kline, technical director: "If there's grain, we'll leave it in. We may tone it down a bit, especially with Blu-ray, where it can show too much. But you'll still see some grain. That's what makes a film look like film."
• Last Year at Marienbad will be released on Blu-ray (and DVD) "this Spring."
• "Coming, in the next few months": Walkabout, For All Mankind, Gimme Shelter, Monterey Pop.
• Peter Becker, president: "We're still figuring it out, deciding month-to-month. But we'll be more aggressive, not less, because sales have been pretty strong. We'll take chances."

CC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks