What's new

Crazy subwoofer idea...does it work? (newbie) (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I own a 50 watt Sony sub that came with my theatre in a box, and just bought a 75 watt sony sub to replace my current one (until I upgrade my system entirely).

Now. I did some expierementing, but not sure if its safe/works/accurate. I bought a Y Monster adapter (allowing me to connect two wires in one plug) and connected both subwoofer cables into the sub output on my reciever. In other words, I have two subs going at the same time off of one sub connection on the reciever.

Should I just connect the 75 watt only? Is this a good idea? Any help would be appreciated...thanks in advance!

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
That idea isn't so crazy, i've been using a Y adaptor to connect my two subs for years :emoji_thumbsup:

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If the subwoofers are powered and connected to the amp (or A/V receiver) using RCA plug cables, you are OK.

If the subs are not powered and connected to the amp using speaker wire, you should not do this until after you have verified that the amp can take the reduced impedance of the combined subs. If you connect the subs in series (daisy chaining with one wire going between units, instead of Y-connector) unpowered subs will work without harming the amp although one may be louder than the other.

Recheck the speaker phasing both between the two subs and between the subs and the other speakers.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

GregGreenman

Auditioning
David,

While what you contemplate is electrically OK - you may have acoustic problems.

Putting 2 subwoofers in a single room can be problematical unless attention is paid to the proper placement. The
wavelengths produced by subwoofers are as long or longer than the dimensions of the room. Hence they produce standing
waves in the room.

If you have 2 subwoofers - you get 2 sets of standing waves that can interfere if you haven't planned the placement of
the subwoofers well.

Be sure you experiment with subwoofer placement - and read up on room acoustics to guide you in their placement.

A well setup single subwoofer can give superior bass response than 2 ill placed subwoofers that are interfering with each
other.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
What greg said.

You will have to do much experimentation as far as placement of the two subs for your particular room and then try to calibrate them. If they are not stacked one on top the other then correct calibration can be time consuming but it can be done, others have done it. And yes, a single bigger sub will yield lower (audio) results than two smaller subs.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Agree, one sub is tricky, two is even more difficult to (correctly) set up. Maybe the best you can do is use your subs stacked. But Im worried also by the frequency response, those subs are designed to give good bass to around 40Hz, having two will reinforce this frequency and any room mode above. That's not desirable.

What you want is to integrate the sub with your mains, and that means try to get a flat response to those 40Hz, I will choose to use only the bigger one, unless you like the boom boom effect ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks