What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think it was hard to see here in the States. I've heard of it beforehand, but have never seen it.
One more thing about this film is people should DVR'd this Noir Alley showing as it might not be available on the TCM app due to right's issues. This is another film made by a small production company that was distributed by Columbia that needed to be restored and properly released on disc a long time ago.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
M (1951) was produced by Seymour Nebenzal, who also produced Lang's version. It was distributed by Columbia. I don't know when it was pulled from distribution, but it did indeed become a "film maudit." Maybe because of HUAC? Horrible prints surfaced (I saw one), and then TCM showed this one some time ago. I don't know why it went without fanfare here at HTF, It is a good transfer and I hope it makes its way to disc. It is also a good film in its own right. A lot is lifted right out of Lang's version, but Joseph Losey was no slouch as a director. David Wayne is good as the killer. I liked it quite a bit, but I wouldn't part with Lang's masterpiece.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
M (1951) was produced by Seymour Nebenzal, who also produced Lang's version. It was distributed by Columbia. I don't know when it was pulled from distribution, but it did indeed become a "film maudit." Maybe because of HUAC? Horrible prints surfaced (I saw one), and then TCM showed this one some time ago. I don't know why it went without fanfare here at HTF, It is a good transfer and I hope it makes its way to disc. It is also a good film in its own right. A lot is lifted right out of Lang's version, but Joseph Losey was no slouch as a director. David Wayne is good as the killer. I liked it quite a bit, but I wouldn't part with Lang's masterpiece.
Without fanfare because so many of us have never seen it for the reasons you stated. That will change somewhat after this coming weekend.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Double feature time with the two film versions of "Raffles". In comparing the 1930 version with Ronald Colman versus the 1939 version with David Niven, I have to say there are things l like better in each film over the other. I really liked Ronald Colman's portrayal of the main character, but the 1939 film has Olivia de Havilland and she's a personal favorite of mine. Another thing about the 1930 version that I like more is that it's a pre-code film so the ending is different which is my preference. The production code kind of ruin so many films. With that said, overall I like the 1939 version more so which is probably in contrast to most film critics. I just think it was a better made film with some film changes that I preferred except for the film's ending.

51zYAvLGJ%2BL._SY445_.jpg

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Just listened to some of this, and they say, "Support Summer Stock if you want The Pirate".

Sounds like a good idea to me!

No surprise, there! Question for those who might be more in the know: What is the exact time frame in which they count the sales? I know I really want to support this release of Summer Stock through the wbshop (a little more expensive, but for this movie and some of the others that could follow if it sells, it would be worth it), but I would also like to grab another at the same time (assuming something gets announced for June that I want), and, considering how it is highly unlikely for any June releases to be put up for pre-order before June, I would like more of an idea before making my final decision on how long to wait.

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
There is a French Bluray of 'M' DVD Beaver review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_71/M_1951_blu-ray.htm

It does have French subtitles that can't be removed, (unless you run it through some software). I've seen the movie on TCM before, and the transfer looked pretty darn good, so hopefully it gets a release at some point. I looked forward to hearing what Eddie says about it.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I'd long been curious to see how they transposed the "M" tale to 1951 America, so I tuned in. I had doubts it would work out too well, and they were basically confirmed. Loved the location work, plus seeing the slews of familiar and dependable character actors dotting the cast, down to the smallest parts. Got a kick out of seeing Gigi's sister, Janine Perreau. Had no idea she was in it. But as to how things worked out plotwise, I could somewhat buy the underworld's initial efforts to track down the killer, but from the Bradbury building siege to the kangaroo-court finale, things just kept getting too ridiculously fantastical. It might work in a far-away, surreally distant, expressionistic 1931 Germany, but hard for me to buy in a more neorealistic 1951 Los Angeles. Plus, as often the case, I found the psychological mumbo-jumbo pretty ludicrous. So, I can't say much for the film, other than as an interesting but rather goofy curio.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
M. Yeah, put me on the side of a curiosity that doesn't really play. It's a mighty pretty print, the locations are great fun to see, but despite the artistic aspirations, I agree with Bert, there just no way they work for this narrative in 1951. The directors who turned it down knew what they were doing. But it was amusing to hear that this version actually bolstered interest and appreciation of Lang's even more.

And after Woman On the Run, this is the second film in a row to feature the old (and later burned down) Ocean Park Pier, and there's the laughing clown puppet or whatever that ended that last film. That's the most fun I got out of watching this, though David Wayne's performance was an actor's dream for that last monologue, and better than anything I ever saw him in later.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
For a remake, I enjoyed it without loving it. Nice to see so many familiar character actors popping up throughout the proceedings. But Losey (and the screenwriters) stole pretty shamefully from the original with the ball bouncing to a stop and the clown balloon soaring upward while the mother hollered "Elsie" for her missing child - straight out of the original. And while Wayne was rather pathetic, he was never riveting the way Lorre was.

Loved Eddie's "M" and his whistle (of the "Peer Gynt" tune rather than what was used in the remake) at the conclusion.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Tonight's Noir Alley "Nightmare Alley" is a must. Eddie says it's one if the most anticipated ones he's done.

Interestingly, is getting remade with Guillermo del Toro directing, film historian Kim Morgan writing, and Leonardo DiCaprio starring.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For a remake, I enjoyed it without loving it. Nice to see so many familiar character actors popping up throughout the proceedings. But Losey (and the screenwriters) stole pretty shamefully from the original with the ball bouncing to a stop and the clown balloon soaring upward while the mother hollered "Elsie" for her missing child - straight out of the original. And while Wayne was rather pathetic, he was never riveting the way Lorre was.

Loved Eddie's "M" and his whistle (of the "Peer Gynt" tune rather than what was used in the remake) at the conclusion.
I feel the same about this film version. I like it, but didn't love it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Over the past week I've spent a lot of time in movie theaters watching new films like "Endgame" and "Captain Marvel". I did watch "The Furies" (1950) on iTunes in HD. A solid western from Anthony Mann with some deep underlining family tones in the script. I plan on watching it again as I want to listen to the Criterion DVD commentary so I'll try to that again.

220px-The_Furies_1950_film.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tonight's Noir Alley "Nightmare Alley" is a must. Eddie says it's one if the most anticipated ones he's done.

Interestingly, is getting remade with Guillermo del Toro directing, film historian Kim Morgan writing, and Leonardo DiCaprio starring.
I watched it again on DVD this afternoon. People should set their DVR for some extra time as this film is 111 minutes long as Eddie's after comments might come up missing if you don't extend your recording time. I liked this film, but there is something regarding Power's character I never bought into as this dude was too smart and conniving to make such a
fatal mistake.
I'll say more after some of you watch this movie.

220px-Nightmarealleyposter.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks