What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (1 Viewer)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I watched the 1931 version again tonight to refresh it in my mind. The plot and characters are all there, but the atmosphere of murky mystery is almost totally absent. Nothing comes close to the 1941 version.
I like the pre-code aspects of the 1931, the breeziness and toughness and sexiness that is part and parcel of those early 30's Warners films, as well as the way it's lit. But no, it's not very mysterious, nor is there a lot of suspense. It seems to focus more on the erotic aspects between Spade and Brigid, which is entertaining, but the plot get short shrift. And while I love Bebe Daniels, and think she makes a terrific Brigid, Ricardo Cortez is miscast as Sam Spade. Still, I was pleasantly surprised by it. It kept my attention. But no, it can't compare to the 1941 version. As far as Satan Met a Lady is concerned, the less said the better. Bette Davis is truly terrible, she can't do self-conscious, self-depreciating satire, she's so ill at ease it hurts to watch her, but why anyone would want to do that to Hammett is beyond my comprehension. From time to time, I think, it can't be as bad as I remember, so I start to watch it again, but it is. John Huston did us all a favor by talking Jack Warner into making it a third time. And I believe it also made the studio a whole lot of money, as well as turned Bogart into a star.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have to watch "Satan Met a Lady" again as I don't have nearly the negative opinion of it as you guys do. I always thought it was a rather funny take. Here are my thoughts from my last viewing which was over three years ago:

"Last night, I watched "Satan Met a Lady" (1936) which is a comedic film based on the same material as "The Maltese Falcon". This film version features a young Bette Davis and Marie Wilson. The latter's performance in the movie has always been a treat for me. I have this film on DVD including the latest release from Warner Archive back in 2015. However, I watched it this time on the TCM app and the video and audio presentations were outstanding. I have to say, Bette Davis looked lovely in this film. Her scenes with Warren William were quite funny, but not as funny as William's scenes with Wilson.:)"

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I have to watch "Satan Met a Lady" again as I don't have nearly the negative opinion of it as you guys do. I always thought it was a rather funny take. Here are my thoughts from my last viewing which was over three years ago:

"Last night, I watched "Satan Met a Lady" (1936) which is a comedic film based on the same material as "The Maltese Falcon". This film version features a young Bette Davis and Marie Wilson. The latter's performance in the movie has always been a treat for me. I have this film on DVD including the latest release from Warner Archive back in 2015. However, I watched it this time on the TCM app and the video and audio presentations were outstanding. I have to say, Bette Davis looked lovely in this film. Her scenes with Warren William were quite funny, but not as funny as William's scenes with Wilson.:)"
I'm glad you like it. I just wish I could. It's got a great cast and a studio and director I admire.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

For me, Marie Wilson is by far the best thing in the film.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I like the pre-code aspects of the 1931, the breeziness and toughness and sexiness that is part and parcel of those early 30's Warners films, as well as the way it's lit. But no, it's not very mysterious, nor is there a lot of suspense. It seems to focus more on the erotic aspects between Spade and Brigid, which is entertaining, but the plot get short shrift. And while I love Bebe Daniels, and think she makes a terrific Brigid, Ricardo Cortez is miscast as Sam Spade. Still, I was pleasantly surprised by it. It kept my attention. But no, it can't compare to the 1941 version. As far as Satan Met a Lady is concerned, the less said the better. Bette Davis is truly terrible, she can't do self-conscious, self-depreciating satire, she's so ill at ease it hurts to watch her, but why anyone would want to do that to Hammett is beyond my comprehension. From time to time, I think, it can't be as bad as I remember, so I start to watch it again, but it is. John Huston did us all a favor by talking Jack Warner into making it a third time. And I believe it also made the studio a whole lot of money, as well as turned Bogart into a star.
You and I saw all 3 versions on one glorious day at MoMA, well-served in archival nitrate prints. I was also surprised by the '31 version erotic aspects between Spade and Brigid, and between Casper and Wilmer (the way Frye caressed that gun...). Then we were treated to Satan Met a Lady. Expectations were high: Dieterle, Davis, Warren William. Although we could tell it was a satire, Davis really sank it. Unforgivably bad acting, possibly her worst hour. Fortunately, MoMA kept the best for last. A magnificent vault print of the '41 classic to wash away the bad taste of the '36 version. So yes, the '41 version is the best, but the '31 has the pre-Code aspects going for it, whereas the '36 is sunk by Davis.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
You and I saw all 3 versions on one glorious day at MoMA, well-served in archival nitrate prints. I was also surprised by the '31 version erotic aspects between Spade and Brigid, and between Casper and Wilmer (the way Frye caressed that gun...). Then we were treated to Satan Met a Lady. Expectations were high: Dieterle, Davis, Warren William. Although we could tell it was a satire, Davis really sank it. Unforgivably bad acting, possibly her worst hour. Fortunately, MoMA kept the best for last. A magnificent vault print of the '41 classic to wash away the bad taste of the '36 version. So yes, the '41 version is the best, but the '31 has the pre-Code aspects going for it, whereas the '36 is sunk by Davis.
I knew I saw all three somewhere, but I thought it might have been via Bill Everson at the New School. But you're right, it was MOMA, the prints were so glorious looking I even enjoyed Satan Met a Lady, which was utterly beautiful, but yes, Davis is really uncomfortable, you can tell from her awkward body posture, all her attempts at levity fall flat, and she overcompensates by frozen smiles which make death masks seem ingratiating. It's one of her few performances which doesn't work at all, as it's clear she would rather be anywhere else. But I think she was suing Jack Warner at the time, so that might explain it. Also William Dieterle, the director, known for noirs and historical dramas like The Life of Emile Zola, is not the first person that comes to mind for comedies.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just watched "Satan Met a Lady" again tonight and I didn't think it was that bad, neither was Bette. Sure, it's far from her greatest acting performance, but I still enjoyed the movie and the satire in it. Marie Wilson was good, I think she wasn't even 20 years old when she played that part. I thought Warren William was pretty funny too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Noir Alley

MR. SOFT TOUCH ('49), a fast-paced, entertaining genre hybrid, has the interesting distinction of having not one, but two directors behind the camera: Gordon Douglas and Henry Levin.

See it Saturday and Sunday on #NoirAlley hosted by Eddie Muller.

View attachment 167139

Noir Alley

Fans of Glenn Ford will enjoy his touching role as Joe Miracle in this unsung and rarely seen holiday gem co-starring Evelyn Keyes. See MR. SOFT TOUCH ('49) Saturday and Sunday on #NoirAlley hosted by Eddie Muller.

View attachment 167140
Based on Eddie's comments, now I know why I liked Mr. Lucky and Mr. Soft Touch so much. :laugh:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I just watched "Satan Met a Lady" again tonight and I didn't think it was that bad, neither was Bette. Sure, it's far from her greatest acting performance, but I still enjoyed the movie and the satire in it. Marie Wilson was good, I think she wasn't even 20 years old when she played that part. I thought Warren William was pretty funny too.
My negative opinion of Satan Met a Lady was probably colored by the fact that it followed the pleasant surprise of the '31 version, and that it was sandwiched in between the most famous version of all. Yes, I did appreciate the satire, but Davis just overacted.
Keep in mind that practically no one at MoMA had seen the '31 and '35 versions when they played in '73, were only familiar with the '41 classic, and that they played in quick succession during one day.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My negative opinion of Satan Met a Lady was probably colored by the fact that it followed the pleasant surprise of the '31 version, and that it was sandwiched in between the most famous version of all. Yes, I did appreciate the satire, but Davis just overacted.
Keep in mind that practically no one at MoMA had seen the '31 and '35 versions when they played in '73, were only familiar with the '41 classic, and that they played in quick succession during one day.
That was 50 years ago. Perhaps another viewing by itself is in order.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mr. Soft Touch was something unusual for Noir Alley: a mostly good-hearted film with a fair amount of comedy. That ending was weird: he lived? Looked like he was filled with lead.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Percy Kilbride made me laugh every time he appeared on the screen. I liked Clara Blandick's rational way of approaching the gifts, too.
Both, this movie and Mr. Lucky have been personal favorites of mine since my early teens. I do wonder how I would feel about them today, if I watched them for the first time as a senior citizen that’s really a hardcore film noir fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks