What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (40 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the movie off the app at lunchtime and enjoyed it. A great film? No, but I hadn't seen it before, and I thought Quinn was great (his end was telegraphed way too obviously). Granger playing way against type and doing okay, and it's nice to see Anne Bancroft during her first Hollywood phase in a movie I had never seen before. Also lots of familiar faces like Jerry Paris and Lee Van Cleef popping up and doing well. The actress playing the mother (don't have the cast list before me, but you know who I mean) was wonderful!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the movie off the app at lunchtime and enjoyed it. A great film? No, but I hadn't seen it before, and I thought Quinn was great (his end was telegraphed way too obviously). Granger playing way against type and doing okay, and it's nice to see Anne Bancroft during her first Hollywood phase in a movie I had never seen before. Also lots of familiar faces like Jerry Paris and Lee Van Cleef popping up and doing well. The actress playing the mother (don't have the cast list before me, but you know who I mean) was wonderful!
I only watched a small segment of the movie on the TCM app as I was adding two Gen 2 ATV 4K to my 4K setups before I started watching NFL games. I’ll try to finish it tomorrow.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1663994646472.png
1663994692857.png

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "I Love Trouble" (1948) starring Franchot Tone, Janet Blair, Janis Carter, Glenda Farrell, John Ireland, Tom Powers and Raymond Burr. The lead character Stuart Bailey played by Tone in this movie was later played by Efrem Zimbalist Jr. on the TV series "77 Sunset Strip". This film was derived from a novel by Roy Huggins, who also wrote this film's screenplay. Huggins had a great career because besides "77 Sunset Strip", he created "Maverick", The Fugitive" and "The Rockford Files". My last viewing of this movie was not a pleasant experience as the video presentation was horrible. I'm expecting the same experience this weekend so I might just watch Eddie's before and after commentary. Anyhow, a pretty good film that needs a proper restoration.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2022 schedule:

01-01-22: Repeat Performance
01-08-22: Nightmare Alley
01-15-22: The Mob
01-22-22: Over-Exposed
01-29-22: Quai des Orfèvres
02-05-22: The Turning Point
02-12-22: Side Street
02-26-22: Cast a Dark Shadow
04-02-22: Pitfall
04-09-22: Bob le flambeur
04-16-22: Night and the City
04-23-22: The Window
04-30-22: Johnny Angel
05-07-22: No Man of Her Own
05-14-22: The Killer is Loose
05-21-22: My Name is Julia Ross
05-28-22: Bad Day at Black Rock
06-04-22: Out of the Past
06-11-22: The Guilty
06-18-22: House of Strangers Thieves' Highway
06-25-22: Down Three Dark Streets
07-02-22: The Strange One
07-09-22: Hide Tide
07-16-22: Scarlet Street
07-23-22: 5 Against the House
07-30-22: Raw Deal
09-03-22: Hit and Run
09-10-22: Obsession
09-17-22: The Naked Street

09-24-22: I Love Trouble
10-01-22: The Red House
10-08-22: The Phenix City Story
10-15-22: The Argyle Secrets
10-22-22: Cage of Evil
10-29-22: El Vampiro Negro
11-05-22: City of Fear
11-12-22: Tension
11-19-22: The Unfaithful
11-26-22: Death of a Cyclist
12-03-22: Decoy
12-10-22: Walk Softly, Stranger
12-17-22: Mr. Soft Touch

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Looking forward to I Love Trouble. I'm reviewing tomorrow, so I won't get to it until the evening, but it'll get seen eventually.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Right, the movie isn't great, but I thought Quinn was good in the movie along with Bancroft. A good cast of character actors in the film too. Also, you're right about Quinn's end being too obviously telegraphed mid-film.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Looking forward to I Love Trouble. I'm reviewing tomorrow, so I won't get to it until the evening, but it'll get seen eventually.
You watched this movie beforehand about a year ago. It has the same bad video presentation again this time. However, I did watch the movie again in its entirety as it's a good movie with a good cast of actors. I love the different lovely actresses too.;)

Eddie's comments about this movie poster was pretty funny.:laugh:

1664097240338.png

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
You watched this movie beforehand about a year ago. It has the same bad video presentation again this time. However, I did watch the movie again in its entirety as it's a good movie with a good cast of actors. I love the different lovely actresses too.;)

Eddie's comments about this movie poster was pretty funny.:laugh:

View attachment 155062
I'd love a good disc of that film because I too am impressed by that line-up of actresses. I wish Sony would resume their refurbishment of their catalog. They have so much of interest in their half-forgotten second string movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm watching TCM tonight and they had a little short with Robert Redford talking about Natalie Wood. I didn't know they went to the same high school. They weren't in the same class as I think Redford graduated a couple of years before her, but they did meet once which Redford recalled in that little short.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd love a good disc of that film because I too am impressed by that line-up of actresses. I wish Sony would resume their refurbishment of their catalog. They have so much of interest in their half-forgotten second string movies.
I don't think Sony controls this movie even though Columbia distributed it. It was an independent production that became somewhat of a loss film. I wonder if Eddie Muller's Film Noir Foundation has investigated whether it's a candidate for restoration. They usually don't restored films that major studios have ownership of, but films like "I Love Trouble" that are basically orphaned, is the type of film they might interested in restoring.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't think Sony controls this movie even though Columbia distributed it. It was an independent production that became somewhat of a loss film. I wonder if Eddie Muller's Film Noir Foundation has investigated whether it's a candidate for restoration. They usually don't restored films that major studios have ownership of, but films like "I Love Trouble" that are basically orphaned, is the type of film they might interested in restoring.
This might be a question for "Ask Eddie!"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A photo taken during "Wide, Wide, World - THE WESTERN!" Live TV Special aired 6/8/1958 from Gene Autry's Melody Ranch. There is a Youtube video of this TV special.

1664143970557.png

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I had seen I Love Trouble before, but I rewatched it (as best I could; this is a REAL noir with about three scenes so black I couldn't see what was happening, a really terrible transfer). The purloining of ideas from Murder, My Sweet and The Big Sleep are obvious and annoying, but the big cast is really good at what they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks