What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (3 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't agree with the TCM criticism here as I clearly don't see them trying to censor past films. I watched that segment(s) and read that counter article criticizing TCM's "Reframed: Classic Films in the Rearview Mirror". I'm not seeing them demonstrating that they're better than the rest of us. What I see is a group of TCM hosts trying to inspire discussion and thought processes about films made in former film eras that reflected the times in which those movies were made in, that are now being watched today by people with an evolutional different set of thought processes and societal norms than the filmmakers and filmgoers from those "by gone" film eras. Furthermore, that the of films today are being made by a more diverse group of filmmakers that should do a better job of storytelling regarding race relations, sexism and LGBTQ issues than those films from the past.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hoo-boy. That "Psycho" discussion.

Pretty much exemplifies why I rarely watch this once-imperative channel anymore.
I watch that channel extensively simply because their range of classic movie showings is unmatched anywhere else. I might not agree all of the time with those TCM Hosts POV, but that doesn't lessen the enjoyment level I get when I watch movies that are easily available on that one channel.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking of TCM's "Reframed: Classic Films in the Rearview Mirror" I see that Universal is about to release "Tap Roots" (1948) on Blu-ray come April 6th. The Amazon link isn't live yet, but I'm going to blind purchase this release. It's connection to "Free State of Jones" (2016) is without a doubt. Of course, the interracial storyline wasn't even attempted in 1948. Here is a brief synopsis.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Speaking of TCM's Reframed: Classic Films in the Rearview Mirror" I see that Universal is about to release "Tap Roots" (1948) on Blu-ray come April 6th. The Amazon link isn't live yet, but I'm going to blind purchase this release. It's connection to "Free State of Jones" (2016) is without a doubt. Of course, the interracial storyline wasn't even attempted in 1948. Here is a brief synopsis.
I saw Tap Roots as a child. 35mm Tech print, maybe nitrate, (I didn't know such finer points then), and what I remember most is the glorious Technicolor.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
It was nice to see TCM show "David and Lisa" (1962) with Keir Dullea and Janet Margolin a few days ago. The last time i saw it was over 25 years ago on my local PBS station and it's still a great film.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Speaking of TCM's Reframed: Classic Films in the Rearview Mirror" I see that Universal is about to release "Tap Roots" (1948) on Blu-ray come April 6th. The Amazon link isn't live yet, but I'm going to blind purchase this release. It's connection to "Free State of Jones" (2016) is without a doubt. Of course, the interracial storyline wasn't even attempted in 1948. Here is a brief synopsis.
Thanks for the heads-up about Tap Roots. I want that film in my collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1616838819261.png

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "Pépé le Moko" (1937) starring Jean Gabin which is the last "Noir Alley" movie until after the annual "31 Days of Oscar" tribute is done in April. It's been about 13 months since I last watched this movie along with its American 1938 remake "Algiers" starring Charles Boyer and Hedy Lamarr. I always preferred the original film so I'll probably watch the TCM broadcast with Eddie's comments instead of my 2003 Criterion DVD. Why hasn't this classic French film been released on Blu-ray by now? Anyhow, the movie's premise is about a gangster that authorities have been trying to arrest forever, but always fail to do so because he remains hidden in a quarter of Algiers called the "Casbah". Was this movie an influence for "The Third Man"? IMO, probably to some extent.

One more thing, they still haven't posted the updated Noir Alley schedule that begins in May.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2021 schedule:

01-02-21: The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry
01-09-21: The Glass Key
01-16-21: Witness to Murder
01-23-21: Born to Kill
01-30-21: The Killers
02-06-21: The Killer that Stalked New York
02-20-21: Native Son
02-27-21: Odds Against Tomorrow
03-06-21: Killer's Kiss
03-13-21: The Night Holds Terror
03-20-21: The Third Man

03-27-21: Pepe Le Moko

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
View attachment 93425

This weekend's "Noir Alley" movie is "Pépé le Moko" (1937) starring Jean Gabin which is the last "Noir Alley" movie until after the annual "31 Days of Oscar" tribute is done in April. It's been about 13 months since I last watched this movie along with its American 1938 remake "Algiers" starring Charles Boyer and Hedy Lamarr.
giphy.gif
;)!

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Muller's argument within the context of the issue is not something I have any big qualms with. But for me, it's the bigger picture of something that has been going on well before this 'Reframed' series. And I'm hardly sitting here with gritted teeth and waving clenched fists or anything over this. I'm primarily saying that about 95% of the reason I've subscribed to cable-tv (and paid its ever-exorbitant rates) over the years has been for access to TCM. I view only tiny smatterings from other networks, which mostly consists of weather forecasts or some important, breaking news headlines. For a long time, TCM had been a sort of welcome oasis from the sheer moronic inanity and suffocating over-politicization of our modern era. That was one of its prime virtues for me, at times almost bigger than the individual entertainment value of the films themselves. True, I always think I rather knew that the network was destined to join the Circus-of-Crazy that everything else already has. And yes, I found that "Psycho" discussion to be the kind of headache-inducing gobbledygook that caused me to flee other networks years ago.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Muller's argument within the context of the issue is not something I have any big qualms with. But for me, it's the bigger picture of something that has been going on well before this 'Reframed' series. And I'm hardly sitting here with gritted teeth and waving clenched fists or anything over this. I'm primarily saying that about 95% of the reason I've subscribed to cable-tv (and paid its ever-exorbitant rates) over the years has been for access to TCM. I view only tiny smatterings from other networks, which mostly consists of weather forecasts or some important, breaking news headlines. For a long time, TCM had been a sort of welcome oasis from the sheer moronic inanity and suffocating over-politicization of our modern era. That was one of its prime virtues for me, at times almost bigger than the individual entertainment value of the films themselves. True, I always think I rather knew that the network was destined to join the Circus-of-Crazy that everything else already has. And yes, I found that "Psycho" discussion to be the kind of headache-inducing gobbledygook that caused me to flee other networks years ago.
Well, I guess we just disagree about where TCM is right now.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have seen Algiers but have never seen the original, so I'm looking forward to it. Then, we'll have to program our own Noir Alley selections for the next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks