What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This morning's movie was "Flight Command" (1940) starring Robert Taylor, Walter Pidgeon, Ruth Hussey and Paul Kelly. A tedious movie about a recently graduated navy flyer that joins the famous "Hellcats" flying squadron and has some serious issues with his flying mates. The movie is about 20 minutes too long, but the great cast makes it more tolerable to watch it. I viewed it on the TCM app, though, I own the WA DVD as the video presentation was pretty good.

1609510838598.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1609514069000.png

I'm really looking forward to Eddie's comments about "The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry" (1945) starring George Sanders, Geraldine Fitzgerald and the lovely Ella Raines. Many of you know my affinity towards Ella Raines as she's pictured in my avatar of her and The Duke from "Tall in the Saddle". Another Robert Siodmak directed movie that I will watch again with my 2015 Olive Blu-ray. As an adult, Siodmak has become one of my favorite directors. He's probably the most proficient director of "film noir". Many of his films are among my favorite 200 movies of all-time including The Spiral Staircase, The Killers, Criss Cross, Phantom Lady, The Suspect and The Crimson Pirate. It's too bad his Hollywood directed movies ended because of creative differences.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2021 schedule:

01-02-21: The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry
01-09-21: The Glass Key
01-16-21: Witness to Murder
01-23-21: Born to Kill
01-30-21: The Killers
02-06-21: The Killer that Stalked New York
02-20-21: Native Son
02-27-21: Odds Against Tomorrow
03-06-21: Killer's Kiss
03-13-21: The Night Holds Terror
03-20-21: The Third Man
03-27-21: Pepe Le Moko

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Some of you might find this TCM article interesting and informative.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I think this will be my last time I watch all six movies in the same day. I think doing so takes away my enjoyment level by the time I reach the last of the movies.
I've done that once and won't ever do it again - at least by my choice. They all started to blur together when I did that. I enjoy them far more if I spread them out over a week or two with other movies in between.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've done that once and won't ever do it again - at least by my choice. They all started to blur together when I did that. I enjoy them far more if I spread them out over a week or two with other movies in between.
I did that once beforehand after the DVD boxset came out. I've learned my lesson after finishing them up last night.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think Song of the Thin Man is an excellent mystery, and I especially like the moody underscoring, especially Buddy's theme song. Great supporting cast, too.

The Thin Man Comes Home is my least favorite.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
View attachment 85117

I'm really looking forward to Eddie's comments about "The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry" (1945) starring George Sanders, Geraldine Fitzgerald and the lovely Ella Raines. Many of you know my affinity towards Ella Raines as she's pictured in my avatar of her and The Duke from "Tall in the Saddle". Another Robert Siodmak directed movie that I will watch again with my 2015 Olive Blu-ray. As an adult, Siodmak has become one of my favorite directors. He's probably the most proficient director of "film noir". Many of his films are among my favorite 200 movies of all-time including The Spiral Staircase, The Killers, Criss Cross, Phantom Lady, The Suspect and The Crimson Pirate. It's too bad his Hollywood directed movies ended because of creative differences.

Just a reminder that the 2021 Noir Alley starts at Midnight ET and again at 10:00 a.m. ET on Suday.

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1609638545955.png

Mmm. A new master from MGM! I'll wait for a review from someone I trust. I like the film and have always admired Jean Peters. So did Robert Aldrich who spoke very highly of her.
Because I'm not willing to spend my money on a typically bad MGM transfer.
Looks like you spent your money on it after all.:) I'm finally watching my disc tonight.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched this disc today. An MGM transfer, third rate, not vastly better than standard definition, about what we've come to expect from MGM. The film itself is good, interesting and different. Jean Peters is one of my second tier favorites, only slightly below the top tier, (Rita Hayworth, Cyd Charisse, Linda Darnell and Claudia Cardinale) and she's excellent in Apache. Robert Aldrich later expressed great admiration for her.
1609667835253.png

I have to agree with Robin that the Kino BD of "Apache" video presentation is mediocre at best. I'm happy for finally having this movie in its OAR, but, the video presentation leaves a lot to be desire to say the least especially considering this was a Technicolor movie filmed in late 1953. A missed opportunity and a movie that deserved an audio commentary unlike some of those other mediocre movies that got one from Kino.

I always liked Jean Peters too. Both, her and Lancaster are great in 'Apache'. So is John McIntire as Al Sieber. A good western in which they changed the novel's ending. Usually, I don't like such changes, but for this film, I've always liked the film's ending.

Here is an interesting article about the real Massai.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
After watching 'Apache', I was in the mood to watch another Robert Aldrich directed film. One of the more brutal WWII movies filmed in the 1950's about a company of soldiers in France commanded by a psychotic coward while his two subordinate officers tries to keep their army company from harm's way. A fine cast with Jack Palance, Eddie Albert, Lee Marvin, Buddy Ebsen, Robert Strauss and Richard Jaeckel. William Smithers has a critical role as one of Albert's platoon lieutenants. This 1956 movie is another film that is finally in its OAR. The video presentation for 'Attack!' isn't pristine, but it's better than 'Apache'. A really good movie! Aldrich was a fine director.

1609665096745.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
View attachment 85117

1609667913693.png

I already know what many will say about the ending of 'The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry' as I think we'll all be in agreement about it. With that said, I always loved this movie and the relationship between Sanders and Fitzgerald, but especially the on-screen acting between Fitzgerald and Raines. Both actresses looked beautiful in this movie and I thought the outfits worn by Raines were stunning. When I was younger, I never thought of Fitzgerald being that attractive, but her looks have grown on me as I got older while watching the movies she appeared in. Both of these actresses should have been bigger stars. In closing, I'm really looking forward to reading everyone's thoughts about this movie. As to Joan Harrison, unfortunately, she was born 50-60 years too early as she should have been one of Hollywood's most dynamic producers of all-time, if she was given free reign to do so. Man, she must have been lonely fighting those battles with those studio pricks.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Re: Robert Aldrich

I would agree with your assessment Robert; he turned in some very entertaining and well crafted films during the course of his career. Several which I would categorize as iconic; namely Kiss Me Deadly and The Dirty Dozen. Your mentioning Aldrich reminded me of Steven Soderbergh's commentary on The Limey. He mentions Aldrich in passing, noting that the script ( or some version of the script) for The Limey had been beating around since the time that Aldrich was associated with it. I could definitely see Aldrich doing a version of that film, considering the hard-bitten nature of so many of his films.

- Walter.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I guess I'm the only one that watched 'The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry'!/?
Oh, no, I watched it tonight. Usually, if the movie turns up on the TCM app, I'll watch it there in the afternoon, but if it doesn't (and this didn't), I'll watch on my DVR back-up.

Interesting characters abound in the story, but I got rather frustrated with all the rigmarole about finding the sisters a house. Why couldn't THEY stay in the family house and let Harry and his new bride find a new one? He was going to have to pay for his sisters no matter WHERE they lived, so I found that a conflict that anyone with reasonable intelligence could have solved rather easily. Her obvious sabotage of his marriage intentions was also irritating; maybe I just didn't have the slavish devotion to my family that he did and thus couldn't fathom his letting himself be manipulated so shamefully. As to the ending, yes, the surprise happy coda took away the ironic, dark ending that would have worked so well, but I'm a sucker for a happy ending, so I wasn't outraged by it; it just lowered the movie a notch down the rating scale in my opinion.

Nice to see Angela Lansbury's mother (Moyna MacGill for those who don't know) in a very meaty part. I thought Geraldine looked absolutely gorgeous, stunning even when she leaped out of her sick bed on hearing her brother's fiance had married.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Interesting characters abound in the story, but I got rather frustrated with all the rigmarole about finding the sisters a house. Why couldn't THEY stay in the family house and let Harry and his new bride find a new one? He was going to have to pay for his sisters no matter WHERE they lived, so I found that a conflict that anyone with reasonable intelligence could have solved rather easily. Her obvious sabotage of his marriage intentions was also irritating; maybe I just didn't have the slavish devotion to my family that he did and thus couldn't fathom his letting himself be manipulated so shamefully.
My wife and I kept saying "why can't the sisters stay in that old house while George and Ella move?!" I also had a problem with Ella Raines being so attracted to the rather sedate George in the first place. I was actually glad to hear she married the other guy. Still, Geraldine Fitzgerald was great in the part of the manipulative sister. George should have grabbed her and emptied the poison vial down her throat, IMO.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It was suggested that the sisters stay in the house, but Raines's character rejected that idea. I can see why some would have a problem with Raines being attracted to Harry, but opposites do attract as I've seen plenty of good looking women married to not so good looking guys and vice versa.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nice to see Angela Lansbury's mother (Moyna MacGill for those who don't know) in a very meaty part. I thought Geraldine looked absolutely gorgeous, stunning even when she leaped out of her sick bed on hearing her brother's fiance had married.
Yeah, I love her in that role as Hester.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks