What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (6 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Wayne, I had the opposite reaction to the guitar-strummed background music: I liked it a lot reminding me of the use of the zither in The Third Man as an unusual and almost hypnotic kind of accompaniment to the story.

And I really liked the movie, too, as it was such a change from the run-of-the-mill contract killing story. I loved his deliberate methodology before actually committing a murder, and I appreciated the gore being minimized. I found Vince a most effective leading man, almost a blank slate against which his two "nursemaids" were wonderful contrast to him. The print they showed looked very good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Wayne, I had the opposite reaction to the guitar-strummed background music: I liked it a lot reminding me of the use of the zither in The Third Man as an unusual and almost hypnotic kind of accompaniment to the story.

And I really liked the movie, too, as it was such a change from the run-of-the-mill contract killing story. I loved his deliberate methodology before actually committing a murder, and I appreciated the gore being minimized. I found Vince a most effective leading man, almost a blank slate against which his two "nursemaids" were wonderful contrast to him. The print they showed looked very good.
I had the same reaction! I did see some of this movie beforehand as it was previously on the Criterion channel. I never finished it for some reason, but, I do remember the movie up to the point when they first scouted the home. Also, I watched Scorsese's 5 minute introduction to the film that is on "Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics 1" DVD set. As I suspected, he saw this movie for the first time with some buddies when it was part of a double feature as a young teenager. They ended up liking this movie better than the other movie which was "The Journey". Scorsese stated he did come to like "The Journey" years later. He borrowed some stuff from "Murder by Contract" for "Taxi Driver". The exercise sequence. An enjoyable "B" movie made on shoestring budget in 7 days.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Okay, somehow I confused a zither with a balalaika as the repetitive music from The Third Man. Just don't tell me it wasn't repetitive piano notes in Eyes Wide Shut or I promise to hang up my ears.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1592271218543.png

Today, I watched the "Sorry, Wrong Number" (1948) BD from Imprint and compared it to the 2002 DVD as well as the iTunes HD Digital. IMO, it's a huge improvement over the 2002 DVD and looks to be derived from the same source used for HD digital. It looks like Paramount was going to release this on BD back in 2009, but didn't do so according to some of the bonus material. Eddie Muller mentioned in his Introduction that they were preparing a HD release. He also was part of the 31 minute featurette "Hold the Phone: The Making of Sorry, Wrong Number" and it has a 2009 timestamp at the end of the doc. IMO, the introduction. documentary and audio commentary by Alan B. Rode happened about the same time.

Man, after watching this movie again Stanwyck was acting her ass off in this film. In the intro, Eddie noted from his perspective that Barbara Stanwyck was the best actress in the history of Hollywood. Some might argue, but damn, she was really good. A long time ago, I read somewhere that her hair turned gray during the filming of this movie due to the hysterical emotional sequences. A terrific supporting cast except I agree with Rode, that Ann Richards was miscast and the part would have been better played by Kristine Miller, who was originally cast for that part, but got bumped down to just a small part in the movie. Perhaps, it wasn't Richards fault as her dialogue was a little clunky especially in one sequence. I didn't know that Lucille Fletcher, who wrote the original radio play and the screenplay for the movie was married to Bernard Herrmann. I think they divorced after the movie opened, but were married for about ten years.

1592271188965.png

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I didn't know that Louise Fletcher, who wrote the original radio play and the screenplay for the movie was married to Bernard Herrmann. I think they divorced after the movie opened, but were married for about ten years.

Lucille Fletcher. Louise was the actress in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest :thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1592444674770.png

Unlike one review I read today, I was totally impressed by Kino's BD release of "Whispering Smith" (1948) starring Alan Ladd, Robert Preston and Brenda Marshall. Based on previous home video format releases of this Technicolor movie, I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprise how beautiful the video presentation looked on my 65" OLED. My video presentation rating is 4.5 as it's a huge improvement over the 2004 DVD. Frank Faylen's role in this movie always freaked me out with his albino look.:laugh: Ladd at his best playing the title character, a railroad troubleshooter tracking down killers and thieves for the railroad. Preston as his best friend going astray is also very good in this movie. With that said, I'm not a fan of Brenda Marshall in this particular movie. I don't know why, perhaps it's just me.

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
Unlike one review I read today, I was totally impressed by Kino's BD release of "Whispering Smith" (1948) starring Alan Ladd, Robert Preston and Brenda Marshall.

The closest thing I've seen to this is Shane which I really enjoyed. The railroad building aspect of this film sounds interesting. Might give it a look.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The closest thing I've seen to this is Shane which I really enjoyed. The railroad building aspect of this film sounds interesting. Might give it a look.
It if wasn't for "Whispering Smith", he might not have been selected to do "Shane". There is a lot of gunplay by Ladd in this movie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
He also sings quite memorably in The Night of the Hunter (Leaning on the Everlasting Love).
God, I love that movie and his version of that song! It scared the crap out of me, when I first saw the movie on TV when I was about 10 years old back in the mid-1960's. He sings very well in "Rachel and the Stranger".

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
When he was a boy, Robert Mitchum sang in the church choir. I once saw him on television singing Little Ol' Wine Drinker Me, and singing it rather well too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When he was a boy, Robert Mitchum sang in the church choir. I once saw him on television singing Little Ol' Wine Drinker Me, and singing it rather well too.
Robert Mitchum was originally from my hometown of Bridgeport, CT. One of my great uncles was a childhood friend until Mitchum moved away when he was about 11 or 12 years old. My uncle used to talk about him all of the time. Those boys were always in some kind of trouble. He couldn't believe that Mitchum became a movie star as his prospects during their youth was more towards being a criminal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks