What's new

Crawdaddy's "Random Thoughts" about Home Video, Film & TV (26 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched "Soldier in the Rain" (1963) starring Jackie Gleason, Steven McQueen and Tuesday Weld. This was the movie in which I developed a huge crush on Tuesday Weld. Well, this movie and some reruns of the Dolbie Gillis show. Anyhow, I really like this movie about two buddies in the Army played by Gleason and McQueen. One is smart, wise, older and in bad health that looks out for his younger buddy, who's not so bright, but for some reason the former takes him under his wing like a younger brother. For the most part this is a comedy, but it makes a turn towards the dramatic at the end. As a kid, the ending left me sad about this movie, but I've come to accept the ending more as a new chapter for one of the movie characters. It's not a great film by any imagination, but it is entertaining with some decent acting performances from a good cast of actors.

51j8CJYvePL._SY445_.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A couple of westerns for me today as I needed to change my mood into a good one. The first one was "Cheyenne" (1947) starring Dennis Morgan and Jane Wyman. I mediocre western with a terrific supporting cast. As usual, Jane Wyman made this movie more enjoyable for me.

The second western is an old favorite that I saw in a movie theater as a kid. "Nevada Smith" (1966) starring Steve McQueen, Karl Malden and Brian Keith. A good western that got me in the mood to watch "The Carpetbaggers" again as two characters Nevada Smith and Jonas Cord are in that film, but with different actors playing them. Of course, Nevada Smtih is the prequel made a couple of years after "The Carpetbaggers" (1964) with George Peppard playing Jonas Cord Jr. with Leif Erickson playing Jonas Cord Sr. and Alan Ladd as an older Nevada Smith. Both films are derived by the novel "The Carpetbaggers" written by Harold Robbins back in the early 1960's. Anyhow, I'm going to watch "The Carpetbaggers" this week on iTunes in HD.

nevada_smith_1966_original_film_art_2000x.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I spent part of my afternoon enjoying the new Blu-ray release from Warner Archive of "Rachel and the Stranger" (1948) starring Loretta Young, William Holden and Robert Mitchum. Though, I've seen this movie many times, but, this was my first viewing of the "uncut" version of the movie. For some reason, when it played on TV back in the day, they cut about 15 minutes from the movie. Even the complete version of the movie only has a runtime of 93 minutes. Anyhow, the movie is about a widower with a young son farming in the Ohio Valley during the 1840's as he's mourning the recent death of his 28 year old wife. His best friend and former romantic rival to his late wife's hand arrives on the farm, not knowing of her passing as he was out in the wilderness hunting game for months on end. The widower is played by William Holden and the best friend is played by Robert Mitchum. This was the first movie in which Mitchum displays his fine singing voice. This was also post-Out of the Past and one of the movies that RKO rushed into theaters following Mitchum's arrest for marijuana. Anyhow, Holden's character decides his young son needs a mother and that his homestead needs a female touch. So it goes to the nearby Fort to find a wife and ends up marrying a young indentured servant played by Loretta Young. They try their best to deglamorize Young, but her beautiful, saucer shaped eyes and high cheek bones still displayed her attractive face. After buying her services and then marrying her on the spot because an unmarried woman and man can't live under the same roof.:) When they get back to the farm, Holden basically treats Young as a servant and not his wife. He pays little attention to her and only cares that she does her chores and provides schooling for his son. It's not until MItchum's character shows up again and starts paying attention to Young that Holden gets jealous and the romantic triangle comes into view between the three lead actors. A romantic comedy in the wilderness with an Indian attack and all.;) Man, I love this movie, but, I'm not going to recommend it to anybody as it is basically a romantic comedy taking place during a different, but dangerous time in American history. A beautiful looking Bluray that I wish there was some bonus material on the disc. Even with that shortcoming, I'm a very happy fan of this fine movie.

1587593602392.png

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I spent part of my afternoon enjoying the new Blu-ray release from Warner Archive of "Rachel and the Stranger" (1948) starring Loretta Young, William Holden and Robert Mitchum. Though, I've seen this movie many times, but, this was my first viewing of the "uncut" version of the movie. For some reason, when it played on TV back in the day, they cut about 15 minutes from the movie. Even the complete version of the movie only has a runtime of 93 minutes. Anyhow, the movie is about a widower with a young son farming in the Ohio Valley during the 1850's as he's mourning the recent death of his 28 year old wife. His best friend and former romantic rival to his late wife's hand arrives on the farm, not knowing of her passing as he was out in the wilderness hunting game for months on end. The widower is played by William Holden and the best friend is played by Robert Mitchum. This was the first movie in which Mitchum displays his fine singing voice. This was also post-Out of the Past and one of the movies that RKO rushed into theaters following Mitchum's arrest for marijuana. Anyhow, Holden's character decides his young son needs a mother and that his homestead needs a female touch. So it goes to the nearby Fort to find a wife and ends up marrying a young indentured servant played by Loretta Young. They try their best to deglamorize Young, but her beautiful, saucer shaped eyes and high cheek bones still displayed her attractive face. After buying her services and then marrying her on the spot because an unmarried woman and man can't live under the same roof.:) When they get back to the farm, Holden basically treats Young as a servant and not his wife. He pays little attention to her and only cares that she does her chores and provides schooling for his son. It's not until MItchum's character shows up again and starts paying attention to Young that Holden gets jealous and the romantic triangle comes into view between the three lead actors. A romantic comedy in the wilderness with an Indian attack and all.;) Man, I love this movie, but, I'm not going to recommend it to anybody as it is basically a romantic comedy taking place during a different, but dangerous time in American history. A beautiful looking Bluray that I wish there was some bonus material on the disc. Even with that shortcoming, I'm a very happy fan of this fine movie.

View attachment 71561
I must get this for I've never (who has since 1948?) seen the full version. I'm not a fan of Young and have never found her "saucer eyes" and "high cheek bones" attractive. I think she looked more attractive in her very early WB pictures ca. 1930, before her face became elongated and she probably had some molars extracted to achieve that hollow look. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I know I'm in the minority.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I must get this for I've never (who has since 1948?) seen the full version. I'm not a fan of Young and have never found her "saucer eyes" and "high cheek bones" attractive. I think she looked more attractive in her very early WB pictures ca. 1930, before her face became elongated and she probably had some molars extracted to achieve that hollow look. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I know I'm in the minority.
Damn! Just "dog" her out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Hey, she died rich, beloved and confessed in her Catholic faith. Can't ask for more.
I'm sure there are some actresses you deemed attractive that I wouldn't share the same opinion of. Anyhow, it's funny that's the part of my mini-review you focused on.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A couple of westerns for me today as I needed to change my mood into a good one. The first one was "Cheyenne" (1947) starring Dennis Morgan and Jane Wyman. I mediocre western with a terrific supporting cast. As usual, Jane Wyman made this movie more enjoyable for me.

The second western is an old favorite that I saw in a movie theater as a kid. "Nevada Smith" (1966) starring Steve McQueen, Karl Malden and Brian Keith. A good western that got me in the mood to watch "The Carpetbaggers" again as two characters Nevada Smith and Jonas Cord are in that film, but with different actors playing them. Of course, Nevada Smtih is the prequel made a couple of years after "The Carpetbaggers" (1964) with George Peppard playing Jonas Cord Jr. with Leif Erickson playing Jonas Cord Sr. and Alan Ladd as an older Nevada Smith. Both films are derived by the novel "The Carpetbaggers" written by Harold Robbins back in the early 1960's. Anyhow, I'm going to watch "The Carpetbaggers" this week on iTunes in HD.

nevada_smith_1966_original_film_art_2000x.jpg
Nevada Smith is long overdue on Blu-ray. I hope the new series of discs from Paramount enables this to happen.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why do I get a feeling that this weekend's Noir Alley movie is not going to be well received by many people? I haven't heard much good about "Wicked Woman" (1954), but, you never know. Luckily, if it stinks it's only 77 minutes long.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2020 schedule:

03-07-20: Ride the Pink Horse (1947)
03-14-20: I Wake Up Screaming (1941)
03-21-20: Elevator to the Gallows (1958)
03-28-20: Crime Wave (1954)
04-04-20: Address Unknown (1944)
04-11-20: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956)

04-25-20: Wicked Woman (1954)
05-02-20: Fallen Angel (1945)
05-09-20: Mildred Pierce (1945)
05-16-20: The Crimson Kimono (1959)
05-23-20: Cornered (1945)
05-30-20: A Kiss Before Dying (1956)
06-06-20: The Underworld Story (1950)
06-13-20: Murder by Contract (1958)
06-20-20: Underworld U.S.A. (1961)
06-27-20: The Lady from Shanghai (1947)
07-04-20: The Sign of the Ram (1948)
07-11-20: Bodyguard (1948)
07-18-20: Three Strangers (1946)
07-25-20: The Breaking Point (1950)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Why do I get a feeling that this weekend's Noir Alley movie is not going to be well received by many people? I haven't heard much good about "Wicked Woman" (1954), but, you never know. Luckily, if it stinks it's only 77 minutes long.

Updated TCM's Noir Alley 2020 schedule:

03-07-20: Ride the Pink Horse (1947)
03-14-20: I Wake Up Screaming (1941)
03-21-20: Elevator to the Gallows (1958)
03-28-20: Crime Wave (1954)
04-04-20: Address Unknown (1944)
04-11-20: Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956)

04-25-20: Wicked Woman (1954)
05-02-20: Fallen Angel (1945)
05-09-20: Mildred Pierce (1945)
05-16-20: The Crimson Kimono (1959)
05-23-20: Cornered (1945)
05-30-20: A Kiss Before Dying (1956)
06-06-20: The Underworld Story (1950)
06-13-20: Murder by Contract (1958)
06-20-20: Underworld U.S.A. (1961)
06-27-20: The Lady from Shanghai (1947)
07-04-20: The Sign of the Ram (1948)
07-11-20: Bodyguard (1948)
07-18-20: Three Strangers (1946)
07-25-20: The Breaking Point (1950)

Well, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but being an "Oscar" contender it's not. Film trash for sure, but I was mildly entertained by it and yes, it's not a film noir. Eddie's comments, particularly, his "after" comments were excellent and very informative as I learned a couple of things. I can't wait to read Matt Hough's comments as he recently reviewed a movie from the same director of "Wicked Woman". By the way, Percy Helton a known character actor really shines in this movie in a very creepy way.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Trashy fun, I'd say. I was SO surprised by the non-tragic ending (and the loop nature of the girl's story: just pick up another guy and start again with her game). Always love Richard Egan in anything (and, of course, Eddie barely mentioned him), but Beverly was not a particularly good actress. I thought Eddie would follow up with more about Percy Hilton's wife not loving the framed ad posted in their living room. Anyway, it wasn't really what I was expecting so I kind of got a kick out of it. Lots of familiar character actors in this too with Frank Ferguson standing out.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Wicked Woman. Ghastly dialogue. The characters and story were so one-dimensional campy, it would have made a good subject for Mystery Science Theater treatment if it was sci-fi or horror. I don't desperately need those 77 minutes back in my life; I agree it was fun in a trashy, corny way; and it was worth it for the after comments, Herb Jeffrey's story, and Eddie singing a few bars of the title track.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I guess we're all in agreement that it's a trashy, but mildly entertaining movie in which a second viewing isn't necessary for any of us.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks