What's new

Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session (1 Viewer)

Bob Cal

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone have this on CD

I was playing this cd (first time in a few years) on my new Paradigm Studio 60's and I noticed a real lot of low base. It was really strange at first. Is this because of the way it was recorded.
I do not have a sub but I can imagine how it must sound.

Bob

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I have played this with sub through home system & through my IRiver . It is a warm sounding cd, and yes, recorded differently. The low-bass, I'm unsure of what you mean, could you elaborate?
One of my favorite recordings, I may be able to help

Bob Cal

Stunt Coordinator
Well on the first song, there is a very strange background noise and yes it could be trucks or traffic from outside , because now that you say that I thought it was a truck in my driveway. But also on a few of the songs I noticed the base was very strong. I will give a listen again tonight and let you know the songs.
I do not have a sub and I have never listened to music with a sub, so I am not sure what it would sound like.

Bob

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
You can also hear the air conditioning on this one.

They used a Calrec Soundfield mic and it picked up everything, which I personally like. A real audiophile recording...

Bob Cal

Stunt Coordinator
Lee
You are right it could be the air conditioning on song one.

I gave another listen to the cd and on Song 3 Blue Moon Revisited just after 4:00 minutes into the songs there is a real low base that you basically feel.

Also on song 5 I's so Lonesome I could Cry after about 1 minute into the disc there is a base sound that I can best describe again as something you feel as opposed to the standard base sound.

Song 6 To Love is to Bury also has a very strong base sound.

Anyway. I need to replace my cd player, and at first I thought something was up with it. But I have subsequently played a number of other disc and they are fine.

So I will assume it is the cd, and the unusual way it was recorded plus the type of instruments. I will have to do a little research on the net on this album.

P.S. I did not mean to imply that I did not like the sound I just found it unusual.

Bob

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Bob,
No problem. I really liked this album due to its clarity and unusual but sincere music.
Let us know if you decide to replace your CD player. In the audio/video sources forum, there are no shortages of opinion and the recommendations are usually good. I would strongly suggest you consider one tha also handles Super Audio or DVD-Audio as well since they are at all price points now. The software selection is getting better for both and high resolution is a big step up you will hear.
:)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
It could be air con on track 1 (sorry, we poor Brits aren't used to it, so we don't know what it sounds like! - I thought it was traffic, but it's too continuous for that). I've only had time to listen to track 3 - the deep bass is, I think, sympathetic vibration - the bass player hit notes that made something else in the room resonate which gave the bass extra power.

Having said that, maybe my system can't detect it - it's a top of the range Arcam amp and CD player, v. good interconnects, but 'only' Dynaudio Audience speakers (the best midrange I've ever heard, but not particularly deep bass - this is deliberate, because the room acoustics can't handle v. deep bass without a huge booming sound). Anyone with a bigger bass to their system care to test this track out?

Bob Cal

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew
I would have to defer to your electronics as my cd player (Sony)is quite old. This is part of the reason I was questioning the base sound on the recording as I cannot even play some cd's on the player any more and I was wondering if my poor cd player had finally died. Also I am using a Technics receiver which is soon to be replace.

Too many wants and not enough money.

Bob

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I finally got around to picking this one up yesterday. It became a college thing after I graduated so I missed it real time but I would occasionally hear a CJ song in the 90's and took notice of the sound.
My listening has only been in the car thus far but I've got a new car w/Bose unit & 8 speakers :rolleyes, almost eight weeks into it, I like it.
As far as the bass thing, it is present and becomes almost earth shaking by the end of Blue Moon Revisited. I was being hypnotized by Margo's voice so I didn't hear the A/C thing. I'll have to check that on my home setup. I bought the current RCA CD, some say the original on the independent Latent label sounded better but the RCA certainly had me mesmerized. So after digesting this one, what other CJ recording would you recommend?

Bob Cal

Stunt Coordinator
John
Sad to say I only have that one CJ's cd.

I have been listening to a much more sedate form of music just recently and I am enjoying it.

I would offer up another Canadian band that I have been listening to just recently and I must say they have a great sound " Blue Rodeo" they have a sort of country sound to them but they have two great lead singers and the band has a real tight sound to them. If you get chance listen to one of their earlier releases like " Diamond Mine" great sounding cd.

I am sure someone else can pass on another CJ's recording that is good.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks