What's new

Cowboy Junkies - how did I miss them (1 Viewer)

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
Some how I went to college during the late 80's and never got turned on to the Cowboy Junkies. I bought the best of CD, but I have a feeling I'll be checking out their other discs. Any suggestions?

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised you missed them completely. The Cowboy Junkies cover of the Velvet Underground song "Sweet Jane" was the one of the hottest songs on College Radio in the '88/'89 timeframe. (Even Lou Reed publicly praised the song, calling it a better version than the original.) So, obviously, the album ("The Trinity Sessions") that contains that song is highly recommended.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I'll cast a vote for The Trinity Sessions and The Caution Horses. After the raw, unproduced (in a good way!), Trinity Sessions album, The Caution Horses seemed incredibly slick at the time. Over the years though, I've learned the error of my ways. :)
Both are heartbreakingly beautiful albums. They may not be the kind of album that you instantly love, but you appreciate them more and more as time goes on.
-Dave

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Definitely go with Whites Off Earth Now. Very laid back music, almost dreamy at times. Black Eyed Man is more of a country album but it has alot of terrific songs as well.
Bruce

Scott H

Supporting Actor
The Trinity Session is an essential recording for any music library. A remarkable live recording, captured with a single Calrec Ambisonic microphone. Live like Uncle Tupelo's Anodyne, not performing for an audience.

I would then add The Caution Horses.

David S

Stunt Coordinator
Also, "Waltz Across America" is an amazing live recording. Sound is A++! Only available thru CJ.com and another Canadian etailer. I will check tonight, as they were a great place to buy from. Ordered 2 discs for $36 (includes shipping)Canadian, and conversion came out to $23. Also, they sent me a third (CJ B Sides and Other Rarities") disc for free.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
I'm partial to Lay It Down from 96. Great album if you're depressed and want to stay that way...
teary-eyed Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks