What's new

Country for non-country fan? (1 Viewer)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
A third voice for Gram Parsons. Probably the best introductory CD is the live set from WLIR (Live, 1973), published by Sierra Records. If I were to pick his most accesible song, it would be "Brass Buttons."
Most "country" Stones is accessible to the rock fan. The Rolling Stones "Dead Flowers" is reputed to be about, in part, Gram. Mick's accents are hit-or-miss.
Johnny Cash's Live at Fulsom Prison also comes highly recommended, and I doubt any here would argue with its stature as among the all time greats. "Cocaine Blues" is a bit of a rocker, and there is, of course, the famous, "Fulsom Prison Blues." ["I shot a man in Reno/Just to watch him die."] The influential Cash snare ("boom-chick-a-boom-chick-a") is in full effect here. The San Quentin set is not as highly recommended.
Nanci Griffith Last of the True Believers is her best. For me, her work since then has lost a bit of focus. Elegant voice.
Anyway, I would recommend the following two as starters:
Gram Parsons - Live: 1973
Johnny Cash - Live at Fulsom Prison
If those are okay, you might want to try:
Emmylou Harris - Roses in The Snow
Nanci Griffith - Last of the True Believers
... and virtually anything by Dwight Yoakam up until This Time.
BTW - I have never been able to confirm this, but I swear Harris's title -- Roses in the Snow -- is a quotation from Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles. In the beginning, there is a passage describing Tess's smile as "roses in the snow."

John Beavers

Second Unit
I like the country "sound." Stomping beats, twangy steel guitars, fiddles, jews harp, banjos. Not the current popular stuff.
Scott,

There is a split off in styles of Country music these days, there's the pop sound of the Dixie Chicks and Faith Hill, then there's the mix of blues and old country, with a little rock thrown in by artists like Tim McGraw, and the two I suggested Clint Black and Travis Tritt. I will take exception to putting Alan Jackson in that category as he is a traditionalist and meets your criteria.

Now if you're talking bluegrass music, that's a different story.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
Forgot to mention that although Merle Haggard is undoubedtly an important artist, he may not be to many rock fan's taste. I have truly enjoyed Lyle Lovett's work, but have never really thought of him in a country vein; to me, he seems to allude to the genre -- as opposed to working in the genre. Probably doesn't make sense.
Willie Nelsons' Teatro is worth a lookie-here see. Red Headed Stranger is probably his classic.
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Hank Williams.
I don't have much experience with the newer wave of country artists, save for a Brooks and Dunn album, and another duet. Can't remember it's name, but it's got "Whiskey Ain't Workin'" Still, I'm eager to hear of new artists who might be working to revive and renew this wonderful genre.
I used to be into cow-punk. If you buy a Lone Justice album, only get The World Is Not My Home. McKee's You Gotta Sin To Get Saved is middle of the road. The totally non-country Life is Sweet is her best work, but not an album easily recommended.

Harold_C

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to try a little Dwight Yoakam.
No kidding. Even better, if you get a chance to go see him play live, you will not regret it. Unbelievable performer and a band that just absolutely rocks, in large part due to an extraordinary guitar player, Pete Anderson.

I first heard Dwight Yoakam on the Grateful Dead tribute album "Dedicated". He and his band did a very hard drivin' version of Truckin'.

If I had to recommend one Dwight Yoakam album to get your feet wet, it would be "Dwight Live". It really captures his live performances. They close the set with an 8 minute version of Bill Monroe's Rocky Road Blues that brings the house down. I would kill for a DVD of this concert. I understand it was filmed, but I've never been able to find it in any format.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Scott,
There is a split off in styles of Country music these days, there's the pop sound of the Dixie Chicks and Faith Hill, then there's the mix of blues and old country, with a little rock thrown in by artists like Tim McGraw, and the two I suggested Clint Black and Travis Tritt. I will take exception to putting Alan Jackson in that category as he is a traditionalist and meets your criteria.
I consider Alan Jackson, Clint Black and Travis Tritt popular mainstream country music. Much like Garth. It's what you hear on the commercial stations. It's modern Nashville music business to the bone. I am not alone in that view, in fact it's a common one both amongst music writers and those in the business and it's the perspective I get from most people. I apologize if you disagree with that, and thus if I offended you.
Regarding a split off in country styles, I sincerely disagree with your examples. All of the artists that you mention here are mainstream top 40 country radio fare, no matter the subtle differences between poppy and those more rocking. I can't comprehend how those artists are "country for a non-country fan", but that's just my opinion. The historically relevant genre diversions that some of use were citing, aside from obvious traditional bluegrass, come from such occurances as the influence of Gram Parsons and the very relevant Uncle Tupelo inspired alt-country/Americana/No Depression movement. Tracing (pun intended for those genre followers) back to Gram we get the catalogs of Emmylou and Steve Earle and Willie and Jerry Jeff and Lucinda and countless others, while we have Son Volt and Whiskeytown and The Jayhawks and Lambchop and Old 97s and many more gaining their footing post Uncle Tupelo.
Now, for entertainment purposes, I can make the Dixie Chicks/Uncle Tupelo connection: UTs masterpiece/final album/essential recording "Anodyne" was recorded live at Cedar Creek in Austin. The album features arguably some of the finest pedal steel you'll ever hear laid down by acclaimed guest Lloyd Maines, father of Dixie Chick Natalie. Another guest on that album, btw, is the late Doug Sahm.
To get convoluted connections how about Beck and Emmylou's recent recording of Sin City, which was written by Gram Parsons and Chris Hillman during The Flying Burrito Brothers period, and introduced to a new generation by Uncle Tupelo and/or The Bottle Rockets (or better, both as Coffee Creek) covering it live in the early 90s... Emmylou, of course, was discovered by Gram...
:)
np: John Strohm

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Dwight Yoakam is also a terrific actor. His performance in Sling Blade is chilling and he shows up in David Fincher's Panic Room as well. I keep meaning to check out some of his music ...

Anyway, to the task at hand. You can't go wrong with Johnny Cash.

One album that the "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" crowd might enjoy is Will The Circle Be Unbroken by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, which was just re-released for its 30th anniversary. Country meets bluegrass with a bit of folk and gospel thrown in. Good stuff.

Steve Winkler

Stunt Coordinator
I'll mention George Strait at this juncture. I enjoy nearly every album he's put out. Others you should check out, Johhny Cash of course, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Roger Miller, Tom T.Hall, David Allan Coe, some Hank Williams Jr., Willie Nelson, Marty Robbins. The Bellamy Brothers & Alabama for 80's type country, Exile & Ronnie Milsap as well. Newer stuff: Brad Paisley, Toby Keith, Kenny Chesney, Tracy Lawrence, Dwight Yoakam, Sarah Evans, Chely Wright, Keith Harling.
Some of these won't be to your liking, but there is a world of talent in country music, past & present. Give some of these suggestions a listen and a chance.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve Tull

Auditioning
You could do worse than checking out some of Michael Nesmith's solo stuff (Yes him from the Monkees )Check out any of the following albums, i think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Magnetic South , Loose Salute, Pretty Much Your Standard Ranch Stash, And The Hits Just Keep On Comin' ,From A Radio Engine To The Photon Wing .
From more recent times i really like Allison Moorer. Her Album 'The Hardest Part' is class.[B

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to say, as a lifelong card carrying member of the anti-country order, I've recently been getting into Steve Earle & have found in him a truly excellent artist.

Don't get me wrong, I still love me old school country like Johnny Cash, et al, but Steve might be the closest thing to Bob Dylan country music has had since the last time Dylan himself dipped into the genre.

Truly a powerful singer/songwriter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks