What's new

Could someone explain how the GBA will interface with the GC? (2 Viewers)

James D S

Screenwriter
I'm curious.
Does it allow you to play GBA games on your TV? (This would be great)
Does it allow for extra in-game options, like GC-only quests?
Can it perform similiarly to the VMU for the DC with sports games? (Another great feature)
I can't seem to find hard info on how the two will interact.
Can anyone help me out?
Peace.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I can't seem to find hard info on how the two will interact.
That's the problem - to be honest, noone knows. Nintendo were slow to send out info on hard details on this to some developers.
The biggest problem is the difference in controls - a GBA has fewer keys etc. To me, this suggests link-up games will be 'gimmicky' games - like the Kirby one demonstrated. It looked fun, and was fundamentally based around the gimmick of the tilting sensor cart... A game like NFL2K2 would be restricting its controls purely to use the screen as a display for calls...
I dunno. :)
------------------
Nothing In Particular

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
No analog controls, screw it.
The VMU is the idea that everyone should have stolen. The ability to have a user interface that is hidden from your opponents is great! But it's not worth giving up analog control to do it.

James D S

Screenwriter
The VMU is the idea that everyone should have stolen.
No joke.
Since Microsoft went out of their way to emulate (isn't that a banned word around here.
wink.gif
) the Dreamcast controller, I wish they'd have thought to incorporate this feature as well. Very helpful and very useful...

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
After playing the GBA, I can't understand why anyone would want to use it as a console controller. It's uncomfortable as hell, has less buttons, no analog joystick, and you wouldn't be able to see the GBA screen!
-Dave
confused.gif

------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"
[Edited last by Dave F on October 23, 2001 at 11:34 PM]

James D S

Screenwriter
After playing the GBA, I can't understand why anyone would want to use it as a console controller.
Yep. It would be great if it allowed for a controller pass-thru, so you could have your private play screen and the superior controller, but I'm sure that won't happen.
Missed opportunity.
frown.gif

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I didn't like the VMU much. The tiny black and white screen was hard to see stuff for making plays in football games (not my game, my brother's) and it weighed the controller down.
I don't think every single GCN game will use the GBA, so it doesn't really matter that much.
That thing so you can play GBA on your TV, well so far it requires you to open your GBA (thus voiding the warranty) and connect a thing to the motherboard at the right spot. I don't think it will be that popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks