What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Cost of living in White Plains, NY..... (1 Viewer)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I am wondering if some of you could shed some light on a question I had. I am strongly considering applying for a job in White Plains, New York (IBM). I've never been to White Plains, however, I have been to NYC twice. The ad states that White Plains is about 20 miles north of the city. One of the major obstacles I would face is the cost of living. I am used to the cost of living in Milwaukee and Los Angeles, however, I would not be able to afford it if it's too expensive. I do realize that many jobs located in high-cost cities tend to pay more, however, I am also aware that often times that increase in pay is still not enough to cover the difference. I went to one of those salary calculator websites and it states that living in White Plains, New York is roughly 25% more than living in Milwaukee. That sounds a little low to me. For giggles, I also checked the difference between Milwaukee and Brooklyn. The difference was only about $2,000, which I find VERY hard to believe. I realize that Brooklyn isn't as expensive as Manhattan, but I also know it's not in the same ballpark as Milwaukee. So.....

Can anyone provide any information regarding the cost of living in White Plains, New York?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
A simple cost of living indicator shows that someone earning $100k in Milwaukee would need to earn $160k in White Plains to maintain the standard of living.

That said.... nobody lives in White Plains. White Plains is a huge office park criss-crossed by very busy and (usually) congested highways. Yes it's in the suburbs but Westchester is densely populated. Nearly everyone who works in White Plains lives somewhere else; if they earn enough then they stay in Westchester although the taxes are much higher than they are just over the border in Connecticut. Some live across the Tap which spans the Hudson (the Tappan Zee bridge) but that's a parking lot for 6 hours a day; the trade-off is that living in Orange or Rockland counties is much cheaper than Westchester so people do it. Some people live further upstate, in Putnam or Dutchess counties. These areas are also cheaper, in comparison, but still not as cheap as across the river. The attraction to staying on the Westchester-side of the river is that you have train service to Westchester from Putnam and Dutchess but none from the Orange/Rockland side (you must to drive).

If you move be prepared for spending time in traffic. Westchester contains the major arteries to NYC from upstate New York and New England. There are interstate spurs, bypasses, bridges, tolls, and lots of parkway-style roads from 70 years ago not meant for the volume or speed of modern traffic. In short, the driving is horrendous. I HIGHLY suggest coming to visit and drive around to see what I'm talking about. Also consider New York is the most highly-taxed state in the country (finally surpassing Taxachusetts last year) both in sales, income, and property taxes. Think over this move very, very, carefully and know your COL differentials to be sure you're not going to end-up earning less in real terms.

The good parts are that Westchester usually has the best schools in the state, generally very nice towns, and quick access to NYC (the best city in the world :D ).

Good luck Scott!

LewB

Screenwriter
Scott:
I live in Poughkeepsie in Dutchess county. We are about 1 hours drive north of White Plains, about an hour and a half north of the NYC limits. You might consider this area as an alternative. We have metro north train service to the city, and the drive in isn't to bad either.
Dutchess county used to be mostly 'beemers from the Pok and Fishkill sites. Then came 1993 and thousands of lay-offs. Now this area is fast becoming a bedroom community for the city. Seems that when city dwellers start looking to go north and get out of NYC, they must go this far north to begin to be able to afford a house. That said, the real estate prices have risen steadily over the last few years, now a nice 4Br 2 bath house seems to be going for around 250-300K. You show that price to an NYC person, and they can't sign up fast enough. The schools are pretty good and we are right on the Hudson river and close to ski mountains if that's your thing. Don't know what your pay scale (band) will be to start, but I'm gonna guess that you will decide against the Westchester /White Plains area based on cost.
You might want to check out the Poughkeepsie Journal web page for some more info about the area. Feel free to PM me also, us beemers gotta stick together :D

Steven K

Supporting Actor
My wife's aunt and uncle live in White Plains... cost of living is pretty high, but they're very wealthy, so I guess it balances out.

White Plains is a 30-45 minute drive to the city during non-rush hour(s) via the Henry Hudson parkway. Compared to Westchester, White Plains is much more affordable.

I also agree that you had better be prepared for some wicked traffic. The Tappan Zee bridge, while being the "lightest-traffic way into the city" (compared to the GW, Lincoln Tunnel or Holland Tunnel) is still a parking lot. My wife and I travel to NJ several times a year to visit family, and we always take the Tappan Zee because: it is cheaper ($3 as opposed to $7) and because it is less busy. Even so, we were down in Jersey a few weeks back, and it took us 3 hours to get from Montclair NJ to the Conn border (I-80->GSPNY Thru->I-84).

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Cool to see some HTFers close by.

I live in Middletown and work at IBM in Fishkill.

Scott, IMHO its too damn expensive.

I think your best bet would be a commute. Alot of people from Orange,Dutchess,and Rockland counties work there.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Yeah, my mistake... I was thinking along the lines of Pellham (sp?) - my inlaws were at one time looking for houses in that area. That was several years back - perhaps things have changed or I might have the wrong area.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the replies. Your responses were pretty much in line with what I was thinking: I could do it but I would likely have to live about an hour away and commute. I don't have much of a problem in doing that, however, there are other professional oppurtunities that I could pursue as well. Again, thanks for all of your input, it is much appreciated!

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Scott, I live in Westchester County about ten minutes from White Plains.

I don't, as it happens, think you would need to live an hour away from White Plains unless you are determined to avoid living in or near Westchester at all, and as long as you don't have to commute over the Tappan Zee Bridge (Rockland County, and then New Jersey) or go into NYC, traffic will not be an issue.

If this job pans out for you feel free to drop me an email and I'll be glad to help you get any information you need. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smm panel phillipines
Recent bookmarks