What's new

Corner 'glow' on WEGA (1 Viewer)

My new 36 in. FS13 WEGA is exhibiting a faint green (sometimes blue) glow in the lower left corner of the screen. I called Sony and the nice lady, who suspected magnetic interference, told me to move my speakers away from my set and see if it goes away. It didn't. The speakers (Polk RT1000i) are completely shielded,

and there is no other device near that part of the TV that could be causing the suspected interference. Do you folks have any ideas? One thing: when the picture goes widescreen, and that portion of the TV screen is not in use, no glow is seen. Only with full screen images, cable broadcast, etc. does this annoying glow appear.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Jeff,
This does sound like magnetic interference. The front of the speaker can't be shielded, so if at any time the front of the speaker were turned toward the set, whether the set were on or not, the set can be messed up.
It doesn't go away after you move the speaker away from the set, it will stay until the set's demagnetized, a process called degaussing.
Your set should be able to do this for itself. Unplug the set for about half an hour or so, plug it back in, then turn it on. This should take care of the problem if it's magnetic induced.
I once had a horrible speaker-induced discoloration on a 35" Sony, but it cleard up after doing the above.

Steve-

Thanks. I'll give it a shot; didn't know about unplugging the set to degausse it. Funny, that term reminds me of my dad having to degausse his new Zenith color set in the early 60s with this circular wand thing that was plugged into the wall. It was kind of a ritual; he's slowly advance on the set, waving the wand in a circular manner. Seemed to work. I guess now the process has been refined, eh?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Jeff, the process has been refined as in TVs have degaussers built in. Depending on the set, it may degauss itself everytime it's turned on, or the first time it's turned on after being plugged in. There may be a menu option to degauss on demand, but I've only seen this on computer monitors, not TVs.

If you hear a loud buzz for a split second when you turn the TV on (after unplugging it), that's the degausser. That should fix your discoloration problem. If not, then your set needs to be serviced, or there is still a magnetic field in close proximity to the CRT.

KJP

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Possibly due to overscan. There is a black mask painted on the inside of the picture tube to define the picture borders, but some stray phosphors happened to extend a little onto the inside of that painted mask. If parts of the picture that are off the screen due to overscan are bright, the glow of these hidden phosphors may be noticed.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks