Copy Protection on SACD & DVD-A ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Westly T, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Westly, recording DVD-Audio or SACD to a CD-R in analog mode should work. I haven't tried it myself, but I have often thought about it. I don't see why it shouldn't work. The sound quality of the resulting copy will depend on the quality of the A/D converter in your CD recorder. Someone on HTF sent me a copy of disc 1 of The Sopranos: Pepper & Eggs SACD on a CD-R, but I have yet to compare it to my SACD and store-bought CD. I've only listened to the CD-R on its own, and it sounds very good.

3. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I'm sure there are tools for DVD-ROM drives to do this. Just like people rip a DVD movie then downcode it to DivX and posts it on the net. There are a few albums that I don't have on CD that I would buy on DVD-A but since I also listen to music on the bus and at work, It could be useful to rip the Stereo Track (192/24 or 96/24), decompress it to a WAV file, then downsample it to 44/16 and make MP3s or CD-Rs.

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Martin,

You'd need a software MLP decoder to do that, and they don't exist in the PC market at this point in time.

Regards,

5. Ian Montgomerie

Ian Montgomerie Stunt Coordinator

You'd need more than a software MLP decoder.

DVD-Audio discs from major labels are normally protected with an encryption system. It is substantially more robust than the CSS system used to protect DVD-Video. "Ripping" DVD-Video on PCs is only possible because some kid in Scandinavia cracked the CSS encryption system pretty thoroughly. DVD-A uses CPPM which I have some experience with. CPPM is inherently quite a bit more secure. I suspect that the licensing companies will NEVER allow a pure software CPPM decrypter (CSS was hacked because Zoran's pure software CSS decrypter was written insecurely, they left a key just sitting in memory in the clear). At best, they might let soundcard manufaturers start storing a key in each card. They won't make it so easy to get ahold of the keys.

SACD is even worse. You cannot even read the data correctly without a special type of disc drive from Sony, and at present such drives do not exist for PCs.

So there is no way at present to get the full-quality digital output. The most you will get digitally is a CD-quality downmix on your digital out. Of course, a really sophisticated operation could capture the 6-channel analog output and re-encode it into a convenient format, but that would be a pain, and you would lose some quality from the digital -> analog -> digital process.

6. Paul Campbell

Why does everybody keep bringing up PC CD-recorders? I beleive the original question was concerning mini disk, which is much different because you don' really have the software options you would with a PC

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

You should be OK going analog (as you mentioned). I guess the quality of the recording will depend on:

a. The Quality of the Source

b. The D/A in the player

c. The A/D in the recorder

All things being equal (which they never are) a high rez source should be better then a Red Book source, but again, there are a lot of variables in the equation.

I have recorded DVD-A (as well as 96/24 PCM such as from Queen's A Night at the Opera) via the analog outs of my DVD player into a Pioneer CD Recorder. Th results were OK.

You will NOT normally be able to use the digital out because even though it is down-rez'd 48/16 PCM, virtually every disc uses the SCMS copy flag. All consumer decks will see this and enter "CAN NOT COPY" mode. I assume you have discovered this?

I personally consider this an abuse of the SCMS technology, which is supposed to limit copies of copies; not limit copies of original recordings.

I have discussed it with the Home Recording Rights Coalition, but it is considered small beer compared to everything else they are fighting at the moment.

BL