1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HT-PC "replacing" CD/DVD-Archive in Future?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Felix_, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Felix_

Felix_ Auditioning

The Question to audiophile Computer-Freaks:

While the Audio- and HT-Industry is discussing copy-protection, a confusing number of competing standards, regional codes etc. and cannibalising it's own business the HT-PC might be the winner!?

1) Will a video-stream played from a 300GB hard-disc-drive and controlled through a Media-Center have the same quality as from a DVD-player (e.g. speed-tolerances)?

2) Will modern A/V-Receivers take over D/A-conversion for audio in the same quality as high-end DVD-players?

3) What will be the Audio and Video-Format corresponding with HDV and HD-DVD?
    High quality audio in comparison to HD-pictures (ending up at 1920 x 1080) seems to be the looser within the last years as SACD and DVD-Audio are reported to have already decreasing sales figures (smart industry: 2 standards instead of one ... never accepted by the client!)

5) It's completely inconsistent: Whily music can be down-loaded to each and every device in various formats (paying for it in various ways - or not), the video-industry thinks that their products can be copy-protected totally and no video will find it's way from a DVD to a HT-PC. Who will win?

Whats your opinion?

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, many can answer number 1 for you now including myself. If I understand the question correctly, DVD quality video can easily be streamed from hard disk within a local network without degrading quality.

And for five, many people are enjoying DVD video in many formats other than disc right now.

"DVD's" on the HTPC has revolutionized my movie watching and has rekindled my enthusiasm for the format. As I have said in other threads, my adoption of HDDVD will strictly depend on how friendly it is to a whole-house media solution.

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

That will be a tricky one. Check with EFF. But the reality is, if I can capture TV shows I want, right now, in HDTV and store them basically as long as I ever want, then they are mine as they are [​IMG]

4. Felix_

Felix_ Auditioning

Chris,
    which interface and cable do you use to your projector / display whatever? There are good reports on Pinnacle Show-Center but even the Vendor does not specify which formats / data-rates are the limit.

Some people told me that they use an adapted MS X-Box.

5. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Chris, which HDTV card? I have a eVGA GeForce 6800 GT and have been looking for a decent card for it for WEEKS!

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Right now, I'm using the ATI HDTV Wonder. I've had pretty good luck with it, after having tried a couple others (the Divco Fusion II, which I had no luck with)

But, using some net based instructions, the results have been exceptional!

Right now, my HD-PVR box is:

For Video: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT
    For CPU: AMD64 3000+
    For Audio: Envy24 7.1 (using Optical output to Denon 2805)
    Tuners: ATI HDTV + eVGA Analog Dual Tuner
    Connect via DVI to Sony 57WV700 screen @ 1080i
    Running MCE2005, using Nvidia's latest NvDVD for PureVideo support.

So far, exceptionally happy! I did have the ATI eHome Wonder card for Analog, but you can't make it and the ATI HDTV work together worth a damn.. well, you kind of can, but bah.. too much work. (lots of reboots everytime you record) the ATI HDTV + eVGA Dual Tuner get along fine.