Cool article about 'Eternally Shelved Movies'

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Weinberg, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Not one mention of the foreign aquisitions they're sitting on. They've had Mamoru Oshii's "Avalon" since early 2000, and they have yet to even put it on the schedual. Given that they're probably going to cut the heart out of it (predicting 40min of cuts personally) and release it dub only (OSL is Polish) maybe it's almost better they don't

3. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Yeah, the article is fairly soft on Miramax. Jonathan Rosenbaum's book Movie Wars is a worthwhile read for anyone who'd like to know more about Harvey Weinstein's practices, especially in regard to acquiring films and then never releasing them.

4. DonMac

DonMac Stunt Coordinator

In the article, the plot description for the movie Edges of the Lord sounds a lot like the great movie Europa Europa (aka Hitlerjunge Salomon). Is it a remake?

5. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, I haven't seen Europa, Europa, but it wasn't credited when I saw Edges Of The Lord at the Boston Film Festival last year.

And, um, it was bad. The sad kind of bad, a jaw-droppingly ill-conceived movie with good production values. But, geez, how did so many talented people think it was a good idea?

6. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"In the article, the plot description for the movie Edges of the Lord sounds a lot like the great movie Europa Europa (aka Hitlerjunge Salomon). Is it a remake?"
    ...no!...
    ...and nor is the movie as obscure as all that, since - surprise! surprise! - it is available on a Norwegian DVD...
    . . . [​IMG] . . .

7. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

8. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Ross, I meant to point that quote out too. Miramax's "brand" has been tarnished for a few years now. Look at all the middlebrow "arthouse" stuff they've been pushing out there with more interest in Oscar noms than quality.

9. Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert Supporting Actor

There are lots of movies the studios are sitting on that have never been released in any fashion. According to the book Easy Riders Raging Bulls, one such film is a 70's Jerry Lewis flick about a clown in a concentration camp. Supposedly it's been sitting on a shelf, unseen by any audience for about 30 years.

10. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    Scott I just finished reading The Day The Clown Cried after years of hearing about the JL film no one will ever see I came across this link while looking for something else, and had to download it to see what all the fuss was about.
    kd

11. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

Well I got D-Tox and Avalon on R2 DVDs so I really don't care when they're released in US as long as they're out somewhere in the world.

12. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer