What's new

Cool article about 'Eternally Shelved Movies' (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Not one mention of the foreign aquisitions they're sitting on. They've had Mamoru Oshii's "Avalon" since early 2000, and they have yet to even put it on the schedual. Given that they're probably going to cut the heart out of it (predicting 40min of cuts personally) and release it dub only (OSL is Polish) maybe it's almost better they don't

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Yeah, the article is fairly soft on Miramax. Jonathan Rosenbaum's book Movie Wars is a worthwhile read for anyone who'd like to know more about Harvey Weinstein's practices, especially in regard to acquiring films and then never releasing them.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
In the article, the plot description for the movie Edges of the Lord sounds a lot like the great movie Europa Europa (aka Hitlerjunge Salomon). Is it a remake?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I haven't seen Europa, Europa, but it wasn't credited when I saw Edges Of The Lord at the Boston Film Festival last year.

And, um, it was bad. The sad kind of bad, a jaw-droppingly ill-conceived movie with good production values. But, geez, how did so many talented people think it was a good idea?

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
"In the article, the plot description for the movie Edges of the Lord sounds a lot like the great movie Europa Europa (aka Hitlerjunge Salomon). Is it a remake?"
...no!...
...and nor is the movie as obscure as all that, since - surprise! surprise! - it is available on a Norwegian DVD...
. . . :) . . .

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Weinstein is especially cautious when it comes to releasing a film that might tarnish a brand that has come to stand for quality filmmaking.
I found this quote to be hilarious. This from the studio that brought us She's All That. Maybe five years ago this was true. Now it's all about the money.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Ross, I meant to point that quote out too. Miramax's "brand" has been tarnished for a few years now. Look at all the middlebrow "arthouse" stuff they've been pushing out there with more interest in Oscar noms than quality.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
There are lots of movies the studios are sitting on that have never been released in any fashion. According to the book Easy Riders Raging Bulls, one such film is a 70's Jerry Lewis flick about a clown in a concentration camp. Supposedly it's been sitting on a shelf, unseen by any audience for about 30 years.

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
Scott I just finished reading The Day The Clown Cried after years of hearing about the JL film no one will ever see I came across this link while looking for something else, and had to download it to see what all the fuss was about.
kd

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Well I got D-Tox and Avalon on R2 DVDs so I really don't care when they're released in US as long as they're out somewhere in the world.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
"You're asking a lot of an audience to pay nearly $10 to see a movie, so you don't want them to feel cheated."

Anyway, I can't say that any of those sound particularly interesting. Edges of the Lord DOES sound a lot like Europa Europa.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks