What's new
World Wide Stereo

converter from Component to DVI? (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
I have a Toshiba 50HX81 and it does not have a DVI input. I have to be honest and say that I am scared that my TV will not be compatible with the future HD-DVD players, and I would love to take advantage of the new Samsung DVD player that upgrades the 480i to 720p/1080i, but in all honesty I really am scared that my TV will be technically dead for me to be able to take advantage of the HD-DVD player/recorders coming out in the next years.

Thanks for the help!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
You are asking for a converter from DVI to component, not what you asked for in in the subject. These won't exist since that would pretty much destroy the whole point behind the studios wanting DVI-HDCP in the first place.

Don't worry about the Samsung; it's only upconverting to 1080i, not true 1080i. Any improvement by scaling in the player rather than the set is going to be rather marginal at best. There's more to be said about digital connection if you had a digital based display rather than analog CRT.

As for the true HD-DVD players, you're scared but what's the use of that? Just enjoy your set until the time comes and worry about it then. Nothing's set in stone yet about whether DVI will be necessary for them, and by the time HD-DVD players come out you may be itching to upgrade anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks