What's new

Consumer Reports Receiver Ratings (1 Viewer)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Consumer Reports November 2002 (For what it's worth)
1. Panasonic SA-HE100 (A Best Buy)
2. Onkyo TX-SR600
3. Harman Kardon AVR 320
4. Onkyo TX-SR500
5. Yamaha RX-V430
6. Harman Kardon AVR 120
7. Panasonic SA-HE70
8. Kenwood VR-6060
9. Pioneer VSX-D811S
10. Pioneer VSX-D511
11. RCA STAV-3390
12. Sony STR-DE685
13. JVC RX-6020VBK
14. Sony STR-DE485
HOME THEATER IN A BOX
1. Sony HT-DDW740
2. Pioneer HTD-510DV
3. Panasonic SC-HT75
4. Yamaha YHT-500
5. Yamaha YHT-300
6. Kenwood HTB-505
7. RCA RT-DVD1
8. Sony DAV-C450
9. JBL Cinema ProPack 600II
Remember Guys, I said for what it's worth :D just thought you might want to see how they rated them.

Yogi

Screenwriter
WHAT NO BOSE IN HTIB!!! THIS IS SACRELIGIOUS (spelling?) I am dissapointed:D Also I guess Denon didnt make the list. What a pity Denon:)

Jon S

Auditioning
Aren't there price considerations with the CR tests? Seems like Bose and Denon would be over a certain price cap for this test.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
They din't test any Denon's. The price range on the receivers ranged from $200 to $650 & If I'm not mistaken Consumer's tries to test models that have a lot of sales, but that still doesn't answer the Denon Question?
The November issue also has tests on speakers, headphones, camcorders & digital camera's. For the past few years though, NO tests on Radio Shack Speakers? even though they are the biggest seller of speakers in the world. Maybe Consumer's doesn't like RCA badged speakers :D but they do like Bose:thumbsdown: But to be fair they did say "Because personal preference is involved, buying speakers is as much of an art as a science. Start with the models with high accuracy scores and listen to them in the store to see which you like. Then try them at home: Speakers that wowed you in the showroom may sound different in a room with plush furnishing, for example, so it's wise to deal with a retailer who has a good return policy"
TOP BOOKSHELF SPEAKER
Pioneer S-DF3
TOP FLOOR-STANDING SPEAKER
Mission MS 700
TOP CENTER SPEAKER
NHT SC1
TOP REAR SURROUND
Infinity OWS-1
TOP 3 PIECE SYSTEMS
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble III
TOP HEADPHONES CORDED
Sennheiser HD570
TOP WIRELESS HEADPHONE
Amphony Model 1000

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
They've tested Denons in the last round - the Denon 1801/1802. No Marantzs either. I checked their web site and don't see this new report on-line yet. Be interesting to see what differentiated the top 10. My impression of Consumer Reports is that they are good for overall introductions to certain product categories (i.e. you're introducing yourself to self-propelled lawnmowers) but they don't go into much detail at all with regard to how they actually do their tests - especially the technical issues.

--tom

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Lee, that's why I stated "For what it's worth" Just thought some people might be interested that's all. But I do go along with them on the Panasonic 100 being a "Best Buy" but it sure doesn't belong at the top of the heap that's for sure but seeing it can be had for under $250 & it has 6 built-in amps that put out around 70 watts a channel each & has fully adjustable Dolby Pro-Logic II & Neo:6 I don't think it can be beat for the money But it's no match for sound quality when it come to Harman Kardon, Marantz, Denon or Onkyo.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
I'm reminded that years ago one of the trade rags asked them why they rated 2 diff. mnfgs of cd players and vcrs that were known to be of good build quality so loww in the dependability scale .....there response had something to do with a questionaire that asked repair facilities to rate the brands by % of COMPLETED repairs and they compared that to # of units sold.....the follow up question involved asking if consumer reports asked if many of the "low -end" units brought in were simply refused repair by the customer because the value of the unit was not worth the repair price .......consumer reports responded with a "DAaaaaaaaaaaaa"...............

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Actually, one of the categories used to rate the receivers was popcorn popping. The Panny's amp left the fewest unpopped kernels.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Hey dont forget Bose's line- "Award winning speakers"
Did they give themselves the award or did they pay someone?

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Unless it's something I don't know or don't really care about (like lawnmowers), Consumer Reports just bites on for ratings. About the only thing it does is tell you a couple of components that are not rip offs for the price, and RCA being in there makes me even doubt that.

The absence of any Denon speaks volumes for their thoroughness and/or hidden agenda.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
What does RCA stand for? Oh my gosh, where is the knowledge of history nowdays? Does no one care for the thechnological evolution of broadcast communications and equipment development that's got us where we are today, with more consumer electronics that perform better than could have been dreamed of 50 years ago?
What doe BBC, GE, IBM, 3M, AT&T stand for? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks