buying used/old receivers for a simple HT setup

nuwc

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Nguyen
I'm new to the home theater world, and I could really use some advice. I plan on running Polk Monitor30s and a Dayton Sub-800, and now I'm trying to find a decent receiver. Looking on craigslist I found a few for under 75: Sony STR-DE 445 Yamaha HTR-5230 ONKYO TX-SR600 Sony STR-K502 Panasonic SA-HE75 Harman Kardon AVR 146 I plan on listening to mainly music (R&B, hip-hop, rap, other) so I'm not sure what sort of sound I'm supposed to be looking for (neutral warm, bright, etc?...) Which of these would best fit my needs, or are there any other options I could look for? Much appreciated to the community!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Between those... The Panny(that one is from back when Panasonic still cared about audio, those came out right after they "killed" Technics audio), onkyo and HK lead that list. I still think $75 is too much for any of them, except maybe the onkyo. The two Sonyks are paperweights. The yamaha is eh. If it was a 5250 or higher, maybe.

nuwc

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Nguyen
Thanks for replying! Ok, so I'm down to 3 options. I was looking around ebay too and found a few, but the pricing including shipping still rolled out to around 75 so I'm leaning away from that site. So in your opinion, which would be best for what I'm looking for? Edit: I forgot to mention that the source of music is coming from an ipod or laptop.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you don't need digital... Look up... Technics SA GX (any model number is fine) Technics SA DA (same as above) Onkyo TX DS (same as above) SA GX are analog only. SA DA replaced GX when "digital arrived". TX DS were around over a decade. Early ones are analog only. Any of those $50 will take it(except for late TX DS). It doesn't even sound like you need video switching. You just need an analog AVR with DPL.

nuwc

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Nguyen
I'm sorry, I lost you there. I dont know what a mini-toslink is. As far as I know, the Polk Monitor30s connect via speaker wire...and the subwoofer connects via RCA or speaker wire as well, given that I have to route it from receiver > sub > speakers. So these selections are your pick for what I should be getting? What separates these from the other three I posted, aside from availability? Thank you a lot for your help and input, and sorry for the many questions!

nuwc

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Nguyen
For the laptop/mp3 player, I was assuming I would connect it to the receiver via aux-to-RCA(L/R) cable. AFAIK, the laptop does not have mini-toslink. I don't think digital will be a concern at all, mainly sticking to analog.

nuwc

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Nguyen
I've been looking at this:
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-TX-DS575X-5-1-Channel-650-Watt-Receiver-/271132726390?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item3f20c51476
Is this good enough for what I want to do? Do I need anything extra with my setup?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yep. That is even before S-Video. What "might" make it creep up is the 6 channel input it has(what that is under the 3 pairs of binding posts). $70-$80 is fair for that...mainly cause you "could" use it as a 5 channel amp in the future(because of the 6 channel...you'd ignore "subwoofer") You even get 3 optical...if you ever need them.

nuwc

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Nguyen
Hopefully the price doesnt go higher. If I can't win this Onkyo, are there any other alternatives? The technics i looked up on ebay didn't appeal to me too much...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, if you are the bidder on this thing...I doubt anybody else bids. I got an old Yamaha RX-V480...but I'm not mailing it...ha.

nuwc

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven Nguyen
haha mailing it is too much of a hassle and a waste of money. sadly, that 1 bid isnt mine. it's someone else...which means we may have a bidding war going on in a few days :( if this doesnt work out i might coax a relative into upgrading their system and giving me their old receiver

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An Elvis Fan