What's new

Harman Kardon AVR65 (Old Reliable) Finally Needs a Replacement! (1 Viewer)

Luster

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Luster
I bought the H/K AVR65 in 1998 and it has been perfect for 15 years. Now I'm starting to hear a few pops and hisses! So it's time to replace & upgrade. Here's the advise I need. I'm looking for the best/most reliable 7.1 with 100+ power for around $500. I could do $600 but it would be painful. I like all of these, but the one thing I DO NOT want to deal with is QUALITY ISSUES! 1. YAMAHA RX-A720 ($589 - Buy Squad) 2. YAMAHA RX-V673BL, ($599 - Amazon) 3. YAMAHA RX-V573BL ($399 - NewEgg) 4. ONKYO TX-NR616 ($399 - NewEgg). Tech reviews are excellent, but user reviews not so great. 5. PIONEER SC-1222-K ($549 - NewEgg). Feel free to chime in with your recommendations. Thanks for your help. Bill...... Harman/Kardon AVR65 Polk Audio Monitor 65T mains Polk Audio Monitor 15C center Polk Audio OWM3 surrounds Sony SA-WM40 Sub

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Sorry I can't offer specific recommendations for you, but I thought I should chime in to tell you.. The fact that you got 15 years from your HK is great. But you simply can't expect to find that in any sort of consumer electronics made today. They simply aren't built to last. The technology changes fast enough that even if you manage to get 5-6 years of use out of something, there's an excellent chance it will be obsolete by then - certainly at least 2-3 generations old. Also, in terms of what criteria you should use when choosing a receiver, rated power is NOT one of them. None of those models will ACTUALLY produce 100 watts at 7 channels driven. Wattage ratings are meaningless. Choose a receiver based on connectivity and features that you actually need (second zone, networking, pre-outs, analog to HDMI upconversion, auto setup/calibration, 4-ohm stability...). Besides, those Polk speakers are pretty efficient (90dB @1 watt) so you don't need lots of power to make your ears bleed. Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer all make quality products.

Luster

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Luster
Jason... thanks for the input. I have used this forum for a few years, but never "joined" with a specific question until today. I usually do some searches and it answers my questions very well. I've just read so many user reviews about certain products (receivers) that are completely negative... "Total junk!", "Didn't work right out of the box.", "Had to send back for repairs after 30 days". All these negative reviews have me a little gun-shy! I'm really leaning toward ponying up the extra bucks and going for the Yammy 720, just because I've read so many positive posts and comments about it. Again thanks for the info. (Also the insight about "watts per channel"):)

Number1AVdork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Umberto Smith
Why not pay a tech to fix the leaking capacitors and enjoy it for another few years? Open up the case and look for buldged or leaking caps. Maybe that's all you need to get it working again. To heck with tossing it out.

Luster

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Luster
Number1AVdork said:
Why not pay a tech to fix the leaking capacitors and enjoy it for another few years? Open up the case and look for buldged or leaking caps. Maybe that's all you need to get it working again. To heck with tossing it out.
Not a bad idea, but I'm really looking to upgrade, especially with all the high tech features that the new units have. The old HK is pretty basic. I don't really need more power, but I would like the capability to network with my home computer. But I will definitely look into having it repaired. I have a pretty nice area where I could use it a my primary sound system. :D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If all else fails...if it can be fixed cheaply enough...use in a 2nd zone. Move it to your bedroom and some AVR can send digital to the 2nd zone(you need to step up the line in the RX-A for that). Digital 2nd zone removes a bunch of headaches...if you intend to do 2nd zone.

Luster

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Luster
schan1269 said:
If all else fails...if it can be fixed cheaply enough...use in a 2nd zone. Move it to your bedroom and some AVR can send digital to the 2nd zone(you need to step up the line in the RX-A for that). Digital 2nd zone removes a bunch of headaches...if you intend to do 2nd zone.
Yes, that would be my intent..... :tu:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Does the 65 have digital inputs(on my phone and still hampered by Crackberry)? If so step in the RX-A. If you have to, buy a used 2000/3000(there isn't that much difference in the years...except people were crying that Yamaha dropped Pandora...or was it Rhapsody???...on the X20 this year)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just saw something interesting... Your 65 has a 5.1 input and pre-outs... Have you tried connecting another amp to see if the "clicking/popping" is the pre-amp stage...or...connecting something 5.1 and seeing if it is the amp stage "clicking/popping"? Basically....if it is the amp stage clicking and popping you could turn it into a pre-pro. If it is the pre-amp(internal processing) you could buy a 2/3 zone AVR and run the pre-outs into the 5.1 input(ignore center and subwoofer) and use it as a 4 channel amp.

Luster

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Luster
schan1269 said:
I just saw something interesting... Your 65 has a 5.1 input and pre-outs... Have you tried connecting another amp to see if the "clicking/popping" is the pre-amp stage...or...connecting something 5.1 and seeing if it is the amp stage "clicking/popping"? Basically....if it is the amp stage clicking and popping you could turn it into a pre-pro. If it is the pre-amp(internal processing) you could buy a 2/3 zone AVR and run the pre-outs into the 5.1 input(ignore center and subwoofer) and use it as a 4 channel amp.
Hey this is all pretty good info! Maybe I'll look into this..... Or then again, maybe I'll just buy the 720. I got the itch. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks