What's new

Connecting Speakers to Sky Q box (1 Viewer)

James Whittingham

Auditioning
Real Name
James
This is probably a very simple question but i'm trying to connect some existing speakers in our house to my sky Q box.

The speakers are on the wall (see picture) with the cables having no connector currently on them (see picture). As far as i can see the input for the sky Q box is an optical connector. I have two questions;

1. is it possible to get an adapter that can be attached to the cables to make them optical compatible?
2. will i need an amp for them or can they go straight into the sky q box?

Many thanks

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 211
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 152
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 343

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Speaker wire would need to be connected to a A/V receiver and Skybox would have to be connected to the A/V receiver.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
JQuintana is right. Speakers require an amplifier. You can’t connect speakers to a Sky box any more than you can a DVD player or cable box. If you have other audio or video components, you should get an AV receiver and connect all your compents through it. If the Skybox is the only component you have, theoretically you could connect it directly to a basic amplifier. However, I know of none that have optical inputs, so you’ll need at least an integrated amp if not an AVR.

For future reference, if a component doesn’t have speaker terminals (you can easily tell them because they will be labeled “Speaker Right, Speaker Left,” etc.) you can’t connect speakers directly to it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

James Whittingham

Auditioning
Real Name
James
would you b
JQuintana is right. Speakers require an amplifier. You can’t connect speakers to a Sky box any more than you can a DVD player or cable box. If you have other audio or video components, you should get an AV receiver and connect all your compents through it. If the Skybox is the only component you have, theoretically you could connect it directly to a basic amplifier. However, I know of none that have optical inputs, so you’ll need at least an integrated amp if not an AVR.

For future reference, if a component doesn’t have speaker terminals (you can easily tell them because they will be labeled “Speaker Right, Speaker Left,” etc.) you can’t connect speakers directly to it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Thank you all. Very useful and understood. They are old speakers left in the house when we bought it and not sure of the quality of them so hesitant to invest in an AV just for that but will have a think.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks