What's new

Connecting both SACD ans DVD-Audio to ONE set of 5.1 Inputs (1 Viewer)

CameronS

Supporting Actor
A friend of mine has a multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio player, but his receiver only has one set of 5.1 inputs. I'm sure this is a common setup others have as well, so what is the best way to connect both without having to disconnect and re-connect when switching between players?

He was thinking of using 6 Y-connectors but was concerned about a loss in audio quality. Any thoughts?

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Get a Sony TAP9000ES, or if you dont feel like putting dow 500 clams, try to look online for some kind of 5.1 input switcher. I would have to advise against 6 y adapters, it doesnt sound like a good idea

Doug_B

Screenwriter
If you do a search on the Audio/Video Sources forum, you'll find some solutions. Some folks use a pair of Rat Shack switch boxes and claim no loss of audio quality. There are home brew designs offered for a price as well. Of course, the previously mentioned Sony unit works as well. Maybe someone has the specific message links.

I think Y connectors introduce impedance problems, as the non-active source is not properly isolated (methinks).

Doug

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Cameron, as Doug alluded to, Radio Shack sells A/V switch boxes for $15 each that work very well for switching between multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio sources. You need two switch boxes for this application. Each input and output has three RCA jacks (left and right audio and video). The Radio Shack part number is 15-1952. I use these switch boxes, and they work great. Here is how I use them:
Box 1
A input: DVD-Audio front left, DVD-Audio front right, DVD-Audio center
B input: SACD front left, SACD front right, SACD center
Output: front left, front right, center (to receiver)
Box 2
A input: DVD-Audio rear left, DVD-Audio rear right, DVD-Audio subwoofer
B input: SACD rear left, SACD rear right, SACD subwoofer
Output: rear left, rear right, subwoofer (to receiver)
Also, Doug is right in that Y-adapters will not work. As he said, the inactive component interferes and cuts down the signals from the active component. I tried Monster RCA Y-adapters before buying the Radio Shack switch boxes, and the Y-adapters failed miserably. With the switch boxes, I can have both components turned on without experiencing signal loss.

RichardMA

Second Unit
Seems like there might be a market for high quality,
remote-operated switch boxes. Radio Shack? Shudder.
All that comes to me when I hear "Radio Shack" is "snap clip" speaker terminals!

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
How bout sell both players and get one that does both, SACD and DVD-A. I believe there are some in the market that do both. Others, please correct me if I am wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks