What's new

Computer output onto my HDTV (1 Viewer)

Blair Gifford

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I wanted to know how I go about getting my computer to display on my TV? I don't want to use s-video. I want it to look as good as possible. Is there anyway to take advantage of an HDTVs higher res?

Thanks,
Blair

Danny R

Supporting Actor
No problem at all. Just get a converter cable for your VGA output. Then use your windows settings to control the resolution to best match your TV.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Does your HDTV have a VGA in? I didn't think so. You'll have to get a VGA-component transcoder, around $ 200 or something from Audio Authority or Key Digital. This'll allow you to view a basic resolution on the TV (IIRC, no more than 540p).
The resolution and timing (and sync issues, if any) will have to be controlled with a shareare program called Powerstrip.
It isn't very easy, and not very cheap ($ 200 is a lot for a small box), but it'll give a nice picture - imagine DVD's at HDTV reolution!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I have a Toshiba TW40X81, which has the 3 component video inputs. I purchased an Audio Authority 9A60 VGA-component video converter to hook my PC to it.
http://www.digitalconnection.com/HomeTheater/9a60.htm
I see that you live in Edmonton. Careful, try not to get them to ship via UPS if you can, otherwise you'll get a surprise $50 charge on top of everything, because UPS sucks floppy donkey dick. Try to get it fedexed if possible! At least you'll know the cost of shipping/duty beforehand!
You'll also need to get Powerstrip, to tweak the HDTV resolutions and refresh rates for your TV.

Matt Volk

Auditioning
The other option is the Radeon 8500 w/ their new component adapter. Does 480i, 480p, 720p & 1080i. Will do 540p eventually.

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to do this too, but only if I can play games. Is Powerstrip compatible with, say, Half-Life? Or am I asking the wrong question? Are people even doing this to play games?

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
You probably won't be able to play games in high-def. Games don't use Powerstrip, and have their own resolutions and timings.

AllenD

Second Unit
Blair,

Some important questions:

What type of HDTV do you have? Brand and model?

What video card do you have?

Merconium

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
Timon, yes, HL will work with powerstrip. Think of it as an extension of the display properties in the OS.

Whether or not the 8500 will output everything to HD is unknown to me. From an email I just recieved:

Highest quality method to deliver component output with your RADEON™ 8500 class of products
Ideal for gaming, surfing the Internet, watching DVDs on your big screen TV
Supports 480i (interlaced) 480p (progressive), 720p and 1080i formats
Works with component input devices such as projectors, HDTVs, etc.
Supports 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio

It seems like anything you feed out of the PC will at least be on the component, and probably HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks