IEEE1934 question regarding HDTV

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Adam.Heckman, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

My new motorola 6200 HD STB has outputs that are IEEE1934. Am I to understand that this will put out the video and audio over the 'firewire'? And if so, can I capture it on my computer through a firewire card and pinnacle software? Then, through a radeon w/ dongle display it back onto my HDTV???
    This would be significantly cheaper than buying a 280 dollar HD tuner card!!

Thanks in advance for any/all replies, I've learned so much from poking around this forum.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Theoretically that should work...but I've never tried it since I don't have such an STB!

I imagine the output will be in mpeg2 format...although I am uncertain if that is straight from the station over the satellite receiver, or if the STB can convert true HDTV signals over the air in realtime...

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I doubt it's that simple. I'm guessing your Pinnacle software is for capturing DV. But for ATSC HDTV, the FireWire connection carries an MPEG-2 transport stream, a completely different video encoding format.

With a FireWire connection and the appropriate software, any computer can act like a D-VHS VCR. There is some freely available developer demo software for Mac OS X that does this. You then have the transport stream as a file on the drive, and you can get MPEG player software that can play it. While DVD player programs will play MPEG program streams, they may not play transport streams, which in addition to the audio and video, contain extra bits for transmission.

But let us know if it works!