What's new

Composite video or audio cable use as sub cable? (1 Viewer)

cacu

Stunt Coordinator
I swaped my receiver from an old Kenwood 1080VR to my new Pioneer Elete 45TX and I noticed noise humming from the sub. So I messed around with the volume and the higher the sub volumne the louder the noise.
I finally swapped the sub cable from the ATS Gold (bought from accessories4less to my AR Pro series audio/stereo cable and no more noise. So I figure the cable is bad.

But the question is why it didn't make noise with the older receiver?

This gets me thinking the sub cable must be the same as the audio cable except that it has 1 connect at each end instead of two. Is this right?

So then maybe if i replace that with a composite video cable it would work better because those cables usually are beefier and more shielded. Is this correct?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
So then maybe if i replace that with a composite video cable it would work better because those cables usually are beefier and more shielded. Is this correct?
Not necessarily. The signals that go to your sub are about 120 Hz and under. Only if the lengths of the cable get extraordinarily long, and I do mean long, might you notice a difference with the thinner center conductor one (more resistance) providing a bit less signal. It's pretty much a moot point though since you're going to calibrate your system. You are, aren't you? The extra shielding is beneficial only in those cases where you've got a source of electromagnetic interference getting through your existing shielding. FWIW, quad shielded coax can be bought fairly inexpensively at Home Depot then it's just a matter of terminating the ends.

cacu

Stunt Coordinator
Where can I get this F to RCA converter?
If i was to build my own Sub cable using RG-6, which type of RCA connector and where can I get them?

Thanks

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
As mentioned above, Radio Shack has them and you can find preterminated video coax with F-Connectorsjust about anywhere including the Shack. If you want to buy bare wire, you'll need to terminate it yourself but in that case you can simply buy crimp on RCA's from a variety of sources such as PartsExpress. There'll be a bit of preparation for the cable...stripping back material but it's not difficult. I'm sure someone can provide a link to a site that walks you through it with pictures.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Chu's right. I've made my own subwoofer cable using RG6 and f-connector to RCA adapters and it works great. All bought at Ratshack.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks