What's new

Component Video Cable (1 Viewer)

DanielJE

Agent
i have a question. i wanted to move my dvd player further away from my X1 projector so i needed a longer component cable and bought this python 25' cable and now my picture shimmers about every 15 seconds and is very annoying. i had a 16'thx monster cable and it was fine. someone told me that you pay for the name and the cheap cable should be fine so my question,is this true.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Daniel. Welcome to HTF!

You DO pay more for a name-brand cable in a retail store. But this does not mean that a $12 cable works really well.

Lets get to your specific problem:

- Interference: can you change the position of the cable or for a test, move the DVD player directly under the X1 and see if the problem goes away? That extra length may be acting like an antenna. If this is the problem, changing the shape of the cable will show a difference. => change to a cable with better shielding.

- RCA plugs: examine the RCA plugs on the Python cable. Do all the plugs look secure/tight? People have even had Monster cables be loose right out of the package. => bad cable.

- Does the X1 take a composite input? If so, fire up a DVD, freeze the frame and try each wire in the component set as the composite wire. Do all 3 wires show a problem or does 1 wire show a problem and the other 2 are fine => bad cable.

Cable Prices: The best bang-for-the-buck cables are the ones made for the broadcast industry. They use bulk Belden/Canare coax and those great Canare RCA plugs.

Check the top of this forum for a custom-cable site link. They are well known here at HTF and they treat our members well. And the prices - a lot less than retail Monster.

Example: 16' Monster THX Component Cable (not-HD capable) : $199 - Good Guys
25' Belden/Canare custom cable (HD Capable): $95

So the custom sites are about half the price, and thats for the longer cable.

BUT: do the tests I suggested above first. No sense buying another cable if you just have a loose RCA plug that can be tightened with some pliers.

Enjoy your stay.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Monster tends to be overpriced but at least they work. With some cheaper no-name cables, you take your chances. If they work, great, you save some money. Sounds like you found one that doesn't. Can you return it?

I once bought a 6 ft cable that was packaged as a Component cable and looked very similar to the Python cable for about $6. Turned out it was actually a Composite/Stereo AV cable they were trying to pass off as Component. Ended up returning the cables and picked up some AR's for a little more.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Daniel: another point - many of the custom cable sites will put RCA plugs on one end, and the VGA/HD15 plug on the other for projectors (no silly adaptor needed). it costs a bit more because that HD15 plug is a real bear to connect up correctly, but it would be worth it for a perminent install.

DanielJE

Agent
i would like thank everyone for the help i do love this site from the day before i started my home theater project. HTF has been tons of help. i guess i will try these ideas tomorrow

DanielJE

Agent
i really like what bob is saying. i do have this adaptor that clearly doesn't have gold connector but does anyone know where to get a 25' component cable with the vesa end on it for a good price.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Try the link/banner ads at the top of the Tweeks fourm for a site that has Projector cables with the correct ends.

(As an Admin, I dont want to recommend any particular site, but our advertisers get a lot of business/recomendations from us and they treat our members well. If you email the site with questions/an order, mention you got the recomendation from HTF.)

DanielJE

Agent
I tried the test where i hooked up each cable sperate in the composite connection and none of the wires had the shimmer in the picture like it does when i hook it up with all three component connections. there is a converter that 'X1' calls a component to vesa but that thing worked fine with the thx monster cable. If I pay around a hundered doallors for a all in one cable will that really improve my picture?

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
You can also do a little different set-up which works great and is much cheaper for long runs. My family built a house and had it pre-wired. Most builders and home theater companys use basic coax cable and it can cause problems however mine did not. I was really sceptical of using coax for video but it worked out great.

I'm sorry, let me explain what I mean. You can buy some decent RG-6 coax cable(like cable TV cable) and run it at long lengths for cheap and can buy connectors that turn the Coax F-Connector into RCA plugs and vice versa which would make for great cables for cheap.

DanielJE

Agent

Can anyone tell me where to find this cable for a good price.
I have a infocus X1 that does have that adaptor.

DanielJE

Agent
I don't know if any one is still reading this thread but the company I bought the cheap component cable from offered to exchange it for a new one. What i really wanted to post was his response, he said "It could be a bad cable or my DVD player is not giving a strong enough signal to go 25'"
does this sound possible to anyone?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes, every DVD player has somewhat different voltage output levels. This is one of the reasons ISF Calibrators calibrate each source independent of the others.

I also have to say I am suprised and pleased that whoever sold you the cable is willing to replace it. But then again, the custom sites do this as well so perhaps its not so suprising.

But if they are willing to replace the cable - go for it.

PS: In case you did not get the hint - www.bluejeanscables.com is the site that also carries projector cables.

DanielJE

Agent
talked to the guy at bluejeanscables for about 20 min. and he answered all my questions i strongly recomend this place.
i will be returning the cheap cable for a new one if it still don't work i will get a better cable from bluejean.
thanks for all the help and info.

James Gumbart

Stunt Coordinator
This thread convinced me to order my component cables from them. Now I only wish I hadn't already ordered a dvi cable. :frowning:

DanielJE

Agent
I kind of hope the cheap cable that i am waiting for doesn't work so i can get the good cable from bluejean and know that I have a good cable. The guy at bluejean said my cable would be about $70.

With the cheap cable cost of $30 and another $10 bucks to send it back to get a new one that still might not work I should have just bought the good cable and i would be done with it. I this thread was here before i order a cheap cable.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking Bob and wanted to bounce this off you. Now I don't have DVI or HDMI but its my understanding that the gauge in these wires is something like 30 or 28. Pretty small but then when one considers what the size of those pins connectors are, one is going to be constrained as to what size wire one can use. If there are adapters that would allow one to use a thicker gauge coax, RG59 or RG6, that would mate the RCA ends into the appropriate adapter, is your gut feeling that one could easily get around the DVI maximum specified length of 5 meters?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks