What's new
World Wide Stereo

Component to s-video (1 Viewer)

Forgive me for posting this twice but I think I stuck it in the wrong forum the first time:b

Newbie alert!

Help me please, I have a complete new system and I am trying to get it set up.

I have ONLY a S-Video cable from my receiver to my projector.
I have both S-Video (DVD) and Component (VCR) devices being input to my receiver.

When I switch the DVD on and select it from the receiver viola! all is fine, when I select the VCR I get audio only.

Please tell me that I don't need a component cable run from the receiver to the projector!! It's quite a distance. Will the receiver convert all of the inputs into S-Video output?

The receiver is a Pioneer VSX-D712 and the VCR has no S-Video output (which is why I am using the component out)

Urgent help as my wife cant watch TV (it comes through the VCR) and is getting p*ssed at me

Many thanks

Andrew

728x90

Jarrod

Agent
First off you need to get some terminology straight.

I infer from the context (your VCR hookup) that you don't really mean component video, you mean *composite* video. Composite is a single RCA cable that carries all the video information. A component connection consists of three RCA cables, each of which carries a subset of the video information (which allows for higher quality video signals). No harm, no foul - this is a common mistake.

Second, the answer is yes - unless you have a receiver the upconverts composite to S-Video (not many do this - some newer high-end models will upconvert everything to component but very few that I know of ever did it to S-Video) you will need a composite cable to go to from your receiver to the projector as well as your svideo. However, you should be able to obtain one fairly easily. It just needs to be a single good quality coax cable with RCA jacks on the ends. Installing it may be another matter.

It may be better/easier to trade up to an Svideo VCR or DVD recorder. Any A/V receiver will do all the switching between components that have the same type of video inputs.

If you do decide to run the composite cable, now would be the time to run component, as well for future use. Just run four coax cables with RCA jacks and color-code them appropriately (one for composite, one for component Red, one for component Green, and one for component Blue).

Hope that helps.

Thanks for clearing that up, guess I need at least one more cable :frowning:

As the cable length is about 10 meters the cost of pre-made cables is expensive, is this the sort of cable I can make myself?

If so what type of COAX should I use and is it the same for both component and composite cables?

Would I get better quality video on the composite cable by using a pre-made?

Thanks (again)

Andrew

John S

Senior HTF Member
It would be cheaper (Ok maybe not as cheap) and way easier if you went and bought an SVHS VCR and have a much greater quality picture to it too. I have seen JVC's under the $100 price point, brand new at Soundtrak.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
They make adapters from composite to S-video. Do a google search and you will find them. Most people dislike them because they do not improve the quality, but you are only looking for the convenience.

Yeah but if I buy a new VCR it will work, but I still need a composit video connection to the projector if I want to plug in a PS2 or XBOX etc.

So I think a composit connection from the receiver to the projector is worthwhile.

Any comments on the type of cable needed to make this?

Wife has overruled buying any more equipment :frowning:

So I have to make the cable, local suppliers don't have any long pre-made cables.

Also the only connectors I can find will only fit over RJ59 cable not RJ6.

Will this be OK over about 10 meters?

Thanks

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Andrew: Don't go to all that trouble. Brian's got the right idea. Parts Express might not ship to you but you should be able to get something just like this . They won't improve the picture by going to S-Video but they work quite well. Much more of an elegant solution...

Chuck (and all) thanks for all the good input, I just went to the local cable/parts supplier and he made me a 10 meter RCA-RCA cable with RJ6 COAX.

Total cost about US$20 so it was quite cheap.

I saw the s-video to RCA converters like on your picture there but an earlier post said that the quality was poor. And for $5 that may be the case. Very convientent way of doing the conversion though.

A moot point as I now have the cable. Tonight we install and tomorrow we neaten up those cables (sorry dear!)

Thanks again to all...

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soonercineaste
Recent bookmarks