What's new

Component to HD15pin cable (1 Viewer)

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished building a 25' cable for my DVD player to Projector out of 3-25' runs of RG6 cable one end terminated with crimp on RCA connectors. The other end to the projector (an X1) currently has a 15pin male connector. I used to have the exact same type of connections on each end using just one run of cat5 cable and the picture was quite good. However I thought upgrading the small cat5 wires to 3runs of RG6 would have to make a differnece.

However now I am getting some interference or what I beleive to be interference. It kinda looks like dot crawl on RPTVs and is most noticable on darker scenes and black backgrounds.

Why am I expereicening this? Should I put RCA connectors on the other end of the cable runs and get a component to 15pin convertor?

Thanks alot
Adam

Shawn Keeler

Stunt Coordinator
Any reason your not using a VGA Break-out cable? Seems this would be a lot easier. Just a thought.
Shawn

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Over at AVS (not sure if he posted it here), ChrisWiggles (mrWiggles at AVS IIRC) built a VGA cable out of STP (shielded twisted pair) CAT5 ethernet cable. There are also links to plans on building a VGA to component cable

Actually, i found it in my bookmarks here: http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
The CAT5 design is what I orginally made. I just thought using RG6 instead of CAT5 would be better.

Adam

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
How did the CAT5 work out for you? Im thinking of doing it, but i cant find any STP in the area, i might just go with UTP and see how it goes...

Did you use STP or UTP?

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah the CAT5 worked really good, the improvement over s-video was defiently worth it. I would say its comparable to the difference between composite and component cables on a regular TV.

Im not sure what you mean by STP or UTP. My dad just had a box of 1000ft of CAT5 for wiring the house for internet.

I have been looking closer at the picture today and the 'dot crawl' is small green triangles that jump and crawl. They are not in any pattern or organized in any way they are completely random but quite even spread out across the whole picture.

I am wondering if there may just be a loose connection with the green cable to the 15pin.

Thanks
Adam

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
STP is sheilded twisted pair, UTP is unshielded...

Most stuff you get at home depot and stuff is UTP (STP has a layer of foil over the wires, UTP does not)

Since your dad just got any old cat5, im gonna assume its UTP... Sounds like it worked fine, i guess ill give it a go sometime, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks