What's new

Component cable switch box? (1 Viewer)

Luke_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Tosh 56x81 which only has two component imputs. Right now I run my progressive scan DVD to input 1 and my Dish 6000 HD receiver to input 2.
I'm very close to purchasing a playstation 2 and I'd like to use the component cables available for it, is there a switch box out there that can handle component devices?
Thanks.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
This is just an idea but...
I am getting close to getting an lcd fp.As far as I know they usually only have one comp. input.To save a few dollars I am thinking of using some less expensive rg6 with rf-rca adaptors to send the signal.When I get more money I can always upgrade.
Anyway,my idea was to get one of the rf splitters(the kind with 2 in one out) for each line.You would just have to be sure one was turned off before turning one the other.
Would this work...Why not?
------------------

Luke_H

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose that would work, however everytime you want to add a device you have to keep getting Y adapters. Lets say I not only wanted to add the PS2, but also the new Nintendo which outputs 480p.
I'd rather run all the cables to a central switch box and then run one main set to the TV.
Thinking about it more, I know they make composite video/Audio switch boxes, I wonder if I could use the
yellow(video)/white/red(audio) composite connectors to attach my red/blue/green(video) component cables?
Would this work?

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I have thought about that also.The thing I wonder if the wire inside the box would match the component cables.I guess the "video" in and out should but i'm not so sure about the audio.So there is a risk you would have one properly matched and two that are not.
As for the splitters,I have seen some that have 3-4 outputs.
------------------

Luke_H

Stunt Coordinator
That Extron looks perfect except that it takes the BNC type connector and I have all RCA type connectors.
I can't believe I'm the only one thats run into this problem.
Thanks for the tip on not using a composite switch as the impedence is not matched.
------------------

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
Luke, I know exactly how you feel. I am faced with the possiblity of having four devices in my system that use Component video (DVD Player(i), PS2(i/p?), X-Box(p), Game Cube(p)). I have no switching facilities for Component whatsoever. JVC makes a few switches that will give you a couple of Component inputs, but it sounds like you'll need more than that. All of the solution I can come up with require three devies and/or a new receiver with Component switching.
If I bought a new receiver that switches component, I can run the DVD player and PS2 through it to something like the Iscan pro to deinterlace (without the receiver, I need another switch). I can then run the progressive component signals from the X-box and GC to another switch/transcoder (my projector only take RGBHV unless I spend $500 on a card), and then finally to an RGBHV switch and then to the projector. Simple really. Of course, changing components will mess things up (prog. DVD comes to mind).
Or, I could just buy a high end scaler with enough inputs and be done with it (don't have that kind of money though). Things get slightly less complicated if I keep my PC to do the scaling.
------------------
"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
This would have been a lot easier if the A/V industry had standardized on the same VGA connectors as computers. There are tons of VGA switch boxes out there.
Ryan
------------------

quote: Anyway,my idea was to get one of the rf splitters(the kind with 2 in one out) for each line.You would just have to be sure one was turned off before turning one the other [/quote]
Chad, you cannot, must not perform what you have proposed above, in doing so you would seriously stuff your video signals such that they would look horrid. You must use a proper video switching device, passive or active as other have suggested. These RF splitters have poor performance at low video frequencies and even at there correct 30MHz to 800MHz (or 1.5GHz) operating region they have a minimum 3dB loss which is totally unacceptable for a video signal. Further more they only offer around 15dB isolation between the two isolated ports, so any echo resulting from the equipment being off or removed would be seriously visible. These are designed for RF applications not video disribution applications.
Cheers
Stephen
[Edited last by stephen abbot on July 10, 2001 at 10:48 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks