What's new

Compare/Contrast Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Seven Samurai (1 Viewer)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I have this creative writing teacher who knows my strong interest in movies and my goal to be a director. Anyway, he also knows I dislike school heavily and never pay attention because I can't stand it. He knows I'm smart as hell so he's gonna just give me this one assignment before the end of the semester and if I do it, he'll pass me. I have to write an essay (atleast 5 paragraphs) on the similarities and differences between Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Seven Samurai. well, I've never seen Seven Samurai and don't have any way of seeing it before the assignment is due, but I had to agree to doing this because I have to pass this class. So can anyone tell me differences and similarities between the two. Was Ang Lee heavily influenced by Kurosawa in making CTHD? Any specific shots that are homages? I just need as much info as possible because Seven Samurai is 40 bucks at Best buy and I'm broke.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Well, they both take place in Asia, and several characters in each movie use swords. Apart from that, I'm flummoxed.

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
Seven Samurai V Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is a weak choice for compare and contrast. I had a high school teacher who would probably have chosen those two movies just to sound cool or something, ugh i hated that guy. Well...if you can't see Seven Samurai because of a video store or such not having it, you might want to see if they have the Magnificent Seven. It's shorter than Seven Samurai's 3-1/2 hr running time, and it's got all the same ideas...cept 6 shooters in place of swords and mexico rather than Japan.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Personally, I'd liken that to asking a student to compare/contrast The Passion of Joan of Arc and The Blues Brothers. Sure, both were on a mission from God, but beyond that, what do you have?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Difference, er, everything ;)
They don't even speak the same languages in the two films.

Rich, seriously try the library for a copy of 7 Samurai, at the very least on VHS. Even if you have to go P&S to see it now, I think you really should if you have any hope on this assignment. There are enormous amounts of details in the differences between the two films, and while a P&S version would not be optimal it would at least be a lot better than no viewing at all.

And BTW, Bug's Life is also a remake of 7 Samurai, though I wouldn't base the assignment on seeing it.

If your local library let's you down, the next thing to consider would be any local college library if there is one nearby. And then Netflix is cheap to join and offers various deals. Heck, 7 Samurai is often for regular rental at some Blockbusters, etc, though obviously not all of them. Again, don't skip the VHS if it's your only option.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Seven Samurai was shot in 1.33:1 there is no pan and scan version you need to worry about.

So if I'm hearing you correctly, you need to complete one five paragraph essay to pass a class--that's it, no other work involved--and you're asking us to help you with it/do the work for you?

As others pointed out, they really are not that similar, if I had to do it I would use a couple different ideas for possible thesis and then rewatch both films with these ideas in mind and a notebook to mark down anything that comes up that seems to relate. The best route to take in my opinion would be to go outside the film world and analyze why they were not well recieved in their native countries (too western), and then use examples from the films that exhibit strong western influence. Or if you want something simpler, you could compare the lead samurai with Chow Yun Fat's character as examples of sacrifice, asian values, or tragic heros. etc. etc. you can't write this paper without watching seven samurai, that you can't cough up 27 bucks (dvd planet, includes shipping) to pass a class is terrible (though I know the feeling), have you asked your parents. And as others have said, libraries, blockbusters, hastings, hollywood videos, are all likely to have it available to rent, at least on vhs, and places like suncoast generally have the vhs for sale.

Adam

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly, you're from Arizona, aren't you? I'm pretty sure Arizona State or University of Arizona would have huge library somewhere that has film in it.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
One is black & white, the other is color.

One is Academy ratio, the other is 'scope.

One is from Japan, the other is from China.

One stars Toshiro Mifune, the other stars Chow Yun-Fat.

Other than that, you're on your own. :)

Terry St

Second Unit
Hmm... This assignment wouldn't happen to be due on Monday would it? Your teacher actually sounds like a pretty nice guy. He did tailor an assigment to fit your interests after all. I am sure that at this point he is looking real hard for *any* excuse not to flunk you. I bet he'd accept an essay comparing a different movie to CTHD if you told him that you honestly could not get a copy of Seven Samurai in time. There are several promising candidates in your DVD collection link. You might concentrate on themes of self-sacrifice and tragedy, since CTHD and Seven Samurai both feature these prominently.

If this isn't due monday, just ask your teacher to hook you up with a copy of Seven Samurai. Chances are he either owns it and can lend it to you, or he knows a video store where it can be rented.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
It's due this Friday. I'll check all the local video stores for a VHS copy, as I think a DVD is unlikely.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I also think the 13th Warrior borrowed heavily from Seven Samurai.

BTW, Someone who wants to be a director NEEDS to see this film as many times as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks