Community - Season 2 Thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Joe_H

Actually this was the most disappointed I've been in a Community episode. Even the Troy's 21st episode, which I didn't find funny, was at least interesting to watch. This one was kind of boring. The Pulp Fiction outfits were good, but it felt like the episode was mostly voiceover, with only one or two funny lines (mostly centering around Troy's obsession with the briefcase).
I felt this way too. Having said that, it is pretty remarkable that I think just about every other episode this season has been hit out of the park, so I guess its OK if I think they miss every once in a while.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
When I saw "Directed by Richard Ayoade" on the credits, I was all

How many other shows can pull off a "My Dinner with André" homage? Or, for that matter, would even think to go there?

Light on heavy laughs, perhaps (apart from Troy's awesome freakout over the check at the end), but the show has earned a good character-driven episode, so I liked it. It also seemed like a subtle "Fuck you" to those who hate their parody-episodes.

Everybody hates Britta. She doesn't have 3-D vision. "What market are YOU shopping at?!??!" made me laugh until I was nearly sick.

How is this show so consistently this good after nearly two seasons?

(Also, I'd now like to watch the in-flight version of Pulp Fiction that Shirley supposedly saw.)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The directed by credit also caught my eye. I explain to my wife that it was Moss from the IT Crowd (which she loves). I know he did the pilot for the US IT Crowd with McHale that never got picked up, so maybe that's the connection. I think if I saw My Dinner With Andre I would have wet myself laughing, but Abed's cardigan only clicked with me after the waiter blew the ruse. I think I was more disappointed that the Pulp Fiction stuff was relegated to a costume party and not integrated into the plot like the Goodfellas/chicken fingers episode.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by joshEH
How many other shows can pull off a "My Dinner with André" homage? Or, for that matter, would even think to go there?

Indeed. I kept thinking, "this isn't anything like Pulp Fiction, but it is like something..." The reveal was what I laughed at the hardest in the whole episode.

Annie with the red hair wig kept making me think of another actress. I thought someone had a light red hairdo like that in another movie in the 90s (besides the obvious Amanda Plummer in Pulp Fiction). I looked up Lara Flynn Boyle and Bridget Fonda but I didn't find any pictures where they wore hair like that. Bridget came close, though. My mind could just be playing tricks on me.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Derek Miner
Annie with the red hair wig kept making me think of another actress. I thought someone had a light red hairdo like that in another movie in the 90s (besides the obvious Amanda Plummer in Pulp Fiction). I looked up Lara Flynn Boyle and Bridget Fonda but I didn't find any pictures where they wore hair like that. Bridget came close, though. My mind could just be playing tricks on me.

Cheri Oteri as Barbara Walters.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Derek Miner

It's Bridget Fonda from Single White Female, I'll bet. Not a lot of pictures online, but she wore a blue dress and had a red bob.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought Annie looked like Lara Flynn Boyle, but not related to any particular film role or character.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I do enjoy a glass of vino, I must say, though I'm going to have trouble not referring to it as "No-No Juice" from here on out.

I think it's time for another Troy-centric episode. As a side-character, he's hilarious, but more than a little socially retarded, which doesn't quite jibe with all the growing-and-changing everyone's been doing, no matter how hard Glover totally nails the obliviousness.

So glad they didn't give Winger a line after Abed's "Still friends?" I can't believe that horrible couples' show follows this one. They should switch timeslots, and let "Bros Who Settle" compete with The fucking Big Bang Theory.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

It's Bridget Fonda from Single White Female, I'll bet. Not a lot of pictures online, but she wore a blue dress and had a red bob.

Well, they were all characters from Pulp Fiction, non? Annie was dressed as Yolanda.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, but she reminded Derek of someone else and I'm going with SWF.
It also seemed like a subtle "Fuck you" to those who hate their parody-episodes.
It was playing with both sides. On the one hand, it was tricking those who don't like homages by being a homage to something less obvious. On the other hand, Jeff was standing in for those who want more homages with his basically saying, "Come on! Let's get to the Pulp Fiction stuff!" I think I came out on top no matter their intentions, because I was really dreading a wall-to-wall Pulp Fiction riff.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by joshEH

So glad they didn't give Winger a line after Abed's "Still friends?" I can't believe that horrible couples' show follows this one. They should switch timeslots, and let "Bros Who Settle" compete with The fucking Big Bang Theory.
"Perfect Couples" has basically already been cancelled. NBC's replacing it with a sitcom starring Paul Reiser where he plays a failed actor/comedian named Paul Reiser who says fuck it, throws in the towel, and hangs out with the ordinary guys in his neighborhood.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I wonder if Harmon and Co. released all those Pulp Fiction stills these past two weeks not only to get us jazzed up, but to also really throw us off the scent from "My Dinner With André"? If Harmon's Twitter messages are anything to go by, I wouldn't put it past them. Those sly bastards.

Possibly my favorite moment in the entire episode was when Glover is almost monologuing himself TO himself about what's in the briefcase, and Annie calls him on it, and he just responds with a really sarcastic, "I said, 'UH-HUH'."

Was this the first time we'd gotten any indication about what Britta does to make ends meet? I found the little "Everybody hates Britta" subplot (if it could be called that) very interesting. I felt a great deal of sympathy for her in that moment where she gets faced by her boss, and "poutily" starts sending Jeff a text.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
"Make fun of me if you want but I've seen enough movies to know that puncturing the back end of a raft always make it go faster"

Absolutely fantastic episode; I was roaring through the entire thing. I loved the flashback to the old sitcom staple of a mystery in a western town (Partridge Family, etc). Loved, what I assume to be, a joke poking fun at the communitythings blog (ie the Annie and Jeff love story; the way it was presented). The Dean's outfits and his credit roll cartoon, the foreshadow to the season finale...

I love this show so much and I don't know anyone who watches it. "What's Community?" Argh!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I seriously cannot believe how good this show is. The montages set to "Gravity" were a highlight, capped off by the monkey repeatedly beating Chang. I absolutely lost it when that music kicked in a third time.

I'm going to rewatch this at least five more times in the next 2-3 days.

One of my favorite moments was, while in the haunted house during Jeff's speech-montage, there's a Civil War ghost-version of Pierce standing in the background. Loved the sequence of Donald Glover screaming across different clips, resulting in him getting a bloody nose from the meta-paradox of it all. It'll be fun to see how a lot of these clips link up, while referring to continuing story-threads.

To say nothing of the Glover joke about popping the back of the raft.

Also, if you didn't notice, at the very end when Chang comes in, you can see that, on the diorama, there's a figure of Chang on the outside peering through the windows. It's a great little touch, that they don't even bother pointing out to the viewer.

Man, I love this show.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I absolutely lost it when they cut to Chang lubing himself up with some Vaseline to go after Troy's monkey and Pierce says "Is that a new stereotype?".

I may have to watch this one a few more times to catch everything that was going on. But I sure felt for poor Annie when Abed was laying out all the times that Britta and Jeff were sneaking around.

There is no show on TV that can make me laugh as hard or as much per season as Community can.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I'm going to be honest. For the first part of the show I thought I had missed a few episodes because of the clips they were showing. Then it finally dawned on me what they were doing and the show got just that much better. But, I have to say the cartoon at the end just kind of made me go "huh?".

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
For a while, over on the NBC press-site, you could catch a shot from this episode that featured the gang standing in the middle of a plane crash. I'm guessing there's TONS of deleted footage from this one.

Just rewatched this...SO MANY awesome lines:

• "I know these vents like the back of my Chang."
  • "I'm going back in." "Why?" "Monkey took my spoon."
  • "That dude was hardcore racist. Like, 1800's Disney-style."
  • "...Humanity is premiering, you jags!!"
  • "Feast your ear-tongues on these memory-pops!”
  • "We're starting to hurt innocent perverts."
  • "I'LL BE A LIVING GOD!!!"

Oh, and all that "Cape" stuff was hilarious. Especially when they all had capes.

• "Cancelled in three weeks, tops!" "SIX SEASONS AND A MOVIE!!"

Also funny was the insane-mercury-poisoned-Jeff speech:

• "Harrison Ford is irradiating our testicles with microwave-satellite transmissions!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks