What's new

Comcast buyback program of Directv boxes? (1 Viewer)

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I'm not sure if this goes here so bear with me.

I signed up for Comcast Cable (HSI as well). Anyhow when the installer got there, he told my wife that they have a buyback program where I would get $25 off my bill for 16 months if I give them my old satellite boxes. I said I didn't want to because I have a Toshiba HD STB which I could probably sell for more and an RCA 5.1 box.

He said I only need to give them 1 box and not say anything about the others. So I'd give him one I've had for 8 years.

Anyway, he had to make a new work order and setup a new appointment for two weeks from now.

Is this guy serious or is this some sort of scam?

Thanks

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Don't know what the current program might be, but they have done deals like this in the past.

A good friends went from DTV to Comcast a year or so ago, and IIRC, got a pretty good deal; $400 or so, credited over a year. They took the box and the dish.

Strangley enough, he wanted to go hi-def last spring, so he cancelled Comcast, and bought a Sony HD Sat/OTA box.

Now that Comcast is doing HD in my city, I am waiting for him to switch again!

BGL

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks,

But what does a cable company want with Satellite dishes and STB's?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Quote:
But what does a cable company want with Satellite dishes and STB's? It makes it more difficult to switch back to satellite.

-Robert

Jake T

Stunt Coordinator
That's what I figured. That's why I'm only giving them 1 box instead of all 6.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:
But what does a cable company want with Satellite dishes and STB's?

Your commitment for the period of the buyback... Smart way to do business, IMO.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Cable is despratly trying to gain back its customers IMHO this is the only reason they are buying satellite dishes from people. I also agree that this makes it harder for someone to switch back to satellite. Cable her in the LA area say in there comercials "dont let satellite into your home, upgrade to cable". :laugh:

Charter Communications is offered where I live and if they offered a buy back program here? I would laugh at them as the only way they would get my dish from me is to prey it from my cold dead hands. Charter Cable here sucks as even HBO looks like hell reheated. The picture is grainy and the sound is a joke. I realize that some cable companies are better than this but IMHO satillite rocks. I would not waste money on cable and I for sure would not switch back and forth, its a waste of money. I would not be supprised if Satellite subcribers in this forum outnumber cables suscribers, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks