What's new

Columbia's T3: Rise of the Machines (DTS edition from Hong Kong) (1 Viewer)

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
Just received it this weekend.

looks and sounds great....and would prefer this one over the upcoming r1 edition only because of the inclusion of DTS.

otherwise, seems to have the same set of extras Warner Brothers is offering.

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
The Region 2 UK version has DTS also. I'd imagine that is a proper DTS track.

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that a lot of HK dts tracks are simply the DD re-encoded to dts, via analogue. This is a bad thing.

CraigL

Screenwriter
From my experience with American movies from Universe & Edko I see this as the exception rather than the rule.
Forgive my misunderstanding your wording...but are you saying that those two companies are the ones re-encoding?

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
No I was saying that none, if any of the discs I've encountered from those companies appear to be re-encoded, most exhibiting improvements.

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
Edko's version of "Hero" had a very nice DTS-es from what i recall. and Universe sucks. who'd buy an american movie dvd coming from them? (even though, the dts in twins effect was very good).

but i'm pretty the hong kong version of T3: Rise of the Machines is indeed real DTS and is done by Columbia Tri-Star. ERA is distributing it but they get their original sources from Columbia.

KimK

Stunt Coordinator
DVDFile reviewed the Edko version of Hero and the reviewer said that it had the best dts track he had ever heard. Plus it's a full bit-rate dts track.

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
Universe sucks. who'd buy an american movie dvd coming from them?
What's your grounds for this? The earlier non-anamorphic titles from them usually left something to be desired but their quality is now consistently high. Look at releases such as Insomnia, which looks as good as any Superbit out there.

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
What's your grounds for this? The earlier non-anamorphic titles from them usually left something to be desired but their quality is now consistently high. Look at releases such as Insomnia, which looks as good as any Superbit out there.
well, for one thing, their manufacturing is so terrible. often times, i find my dvd player having a hard time playing their discs. and people have told me about their mediocre discs. sure, they have some movies done nicely in terms of video and audio quality but their layer change problems are inevitible.

Brett C

Second Unit
Insomnia is a great example of a good disc from them, it features the identical transfer to the R1 disc, but its actually encoded at a higher bitrate on the R3, because it doesn't have to share its space (both are DVD9's) with the extras that are included on the R1.

CraigL

Screenwriter
This brings up my question exactly. I was told most of the DTS versions of movies such as Insomnia, K-19, Silence of the Lambs etc are re-encodes. So I'm guessing this is NOT the case??

Brett C

Second Unit
Thats a pretty ridiculous statement,IMO. If you hear them for yourself, and compare to the DD, and actually have an idea how to judge differences in sound quality, you'll tell right away thats a load of crap. The DTS track on the R3 Edko disc of Resident Evil,sounds identical to the one featured on the R1 superbit. And yes I own both R1 and R3 of all these titles, so I'm able to compare them directly.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Thats a pretty ridiculous statement,IMO. If you hear them for yourself, and compare to the DD, and actually have an idea how to judge differences in sound quality, you'll tell right away thats a load of crap.
Well when you put it that way...

:rolleyes

If you'd like, I can refer you to a thread on DVDtalk where I got into an argument with someone about this very subject. I felt exactly the way you do. And apparently this just isn't the case.

Brett C

Second Unit
Yeah well I like to look into things for myself,and advise others to follow suit. I follow things with caution on internet forums, a lot of overnight experts have appeared with the boom of this format,lol. And as I like to say free advice is usually worth what you've paid for it...

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
It's unfortunate that the mentality of alot of people is that Asian = Bootleg. Their loss I guess.

Brett C

Second Unit
Please do post links, I need a good laugh, although I'm sure I've seen it at some point, I just usually ignore the garbage, because when someone thinks they are right , you can never sway them, no matter how much information you throw at them. I do however, jump into threads where I know from personally testing the stuff, that the information posted is bogus, and nothing worse than bogus information carried about from thread to thread, forum to forum.Like I said you really wanna know, and get the right answers for yourself,than check it out for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks