What's new

Columbia's T3: Rise of the Machines (DTS edition from Hong Kong) (1 Viewer)

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
now, granted as you can tell by my chinese name here, you can see that I am Asian myself and i can tell from a pirate and a legit release from China. And there is no one more familiar than HK releases than a HK person himself. i own a few Universe releases and a majority of them are mediocre. I wasn't even sure if i wanted to see their "Bulletproof Monk" dvd myself although i will grab it and check it out next week.

their "twins effect" disc was great on the video/audio issue, however. it's jsut too bad that their manufacturing on the disc was terrible resulting many complaints about the layer change.

there are good Hong Kong R3 releases of Western movies and T3 is one of those, which i believe is the work of Columbia tri-star and ERA. Deltamac and ERA generally make good discs of western movies in the R3 market.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Here are some links to discussions of the re-encodes:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=274456

I know that there was another one where posters delved deeper into this and it may have even been on this forum but I can't be sure. I know there is a bit of a cross-over of posters.

In any case, I'm not here to make judgements or whatknot. It's just that this is what I've heard and having heard it, I thought I'd pass it along. I'd love to know whether it's true or not.

Brett C

Second Unit
Well typical,the claims stating them to be fake, have nothing to really back up any evidence of them being fake and why is that.When Mr Walsh(someone who knows what he's talking about it) gives some vivid description of the discs he's seen and heard (also typical how its ignored).People are entitled to their own opinion,I have mine, based on actually having the discs.Making statements like that, it should be backed up with a little more than hearsay. Thanks for posting the link though,was still interesting to look at.

CharlieC

Stunt Coordinator
The situation with Universal is similar with Disney...

In R1, Universal sometimes decides to dump the dts track due to the DD 5.1 French and/or Spanish track, full screen version and the amount of extra materials included. However, it doesn't mean that there isn't a dts track available.

In fact, when the content of such DVD is being considered in other regions, more often than not, the publishing company will choose to include the dts track supplied by Universal or the publishing company in R1, if not redo one from the master, becasse dts is a big selling point in non-R1 markets.

This is the reason we have...
Monsters Inc: R1 DD THX, R2 DTS THX, R3 DTS
A Bug's Life: R1 DD THX, R2 DTS THX
Red Dragon: R1 DD, R2 DTS, R3 DTS
Lion King: R1 DD THX, R2 DTS THX, R3 DTS
The Hulk: R1 DD, R2 DTS, R3 DTS
T3: R1 DD, R2 DTS, R3 DTS

AlexBC

Second Unit
Charlie, don't forget to include

Red Dragon R4 DTS (both Australia PAL and Brazil NTSC)
Lion King R4 DTS THX (both Australia PAL and Brazil NTSC)
The Hulk R4 DTS (both Australia PAL and Brazil NTSC)
T3 R4 DTS (both Australia PAL and Brazil NTSC)

All of them are legit DTS released by the studios themselves (at least in Brazil)

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
CharlieC, i think only the korean and taiwan R3 edition of "The Lion King" has DTS. i'm sure that the hong kong version doesn't because of the addition of the cantonese and thai dolby 2.0 track.

CharlieC

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I did not know that R3 HK version does not have DTS...
I know that Taiwanese version has DTS, and Korean version has DTS THX, while R2 UK version has DTS and THX

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
Ummm..it does. That's the one I have
uhm....

it doesn't. unless you've got the taiwanese or the korean edition of the lion king, it does.

but IVL screwed HK viewers over by nixing the DTS in favor of including a dolby 2.0 cantonese dub track and a dolby 2.0 thai dub track.

however, unlike the taiwanese version, the HK version has the commentary track.

ethan_l

Stunt Coordinator
I really want to get the R3 ver of T3 but
if someone could do a direct comparison of R1 vs R3 in terms of PQ that'll be great
or
could someone confirm that the same company released
both the R2 and R3 ver

Thanks much

James Reader

Screenwriter
Warner are releasing T3 in America. Warner, as you know, don't do DTS.

Columbia is releasing T3 in the rest of the world.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Could someone put a direct comparison of the T3 R1 and R3 DVD's?

Make sure you compare the audio (which is what will make my decision on buying an R3 instead of an R1 :D)

Thanks!

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
well, for one thing, their manufacturing is so terrible. often times, i find my dvd player having a hard time playing their discs. and people have told me about their mediocre discs. sure, they have some movies done nicely in terms of video and audio quality but their layer change problems are inevitible.
Well 'people' either have crap players or are straight up talking shit. I have about 15 titles from them and have yet to encounter a single manufacturing fault on the 3 standalones and 2 dvd-rom drives I own.

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
If you go to
dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3
and look up Terminator 3 in Region 4 there are at least 2 reviews,
the Region 4 has both Dolby Digital and DTS and they compare them.
I've got Region 1 and my Region 4 is on it's way, I can compare both directly at the end of the week.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Awesome, thanx for the info Mark-C and can't wait for your direct comparison review! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
Well 'people' either have crap players or are straight up talking shit. I have about 15 titles from them and have yet to encounter a single manufacturing fault on the 3 standalones and 2 dvd-rom drives I own.
well, after trying Universe discs on 2 different standard dvd players, the PS2, and the PC, and still encountering problems, i think that accounts for one's opinion to stick. I am not one to comment on who's talking shit but I won't mind telling myself who's full of it.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Talk about painting a broad stroke. A whole 15 titles and you can make that concrete assessment about their whole catalogue?

Please stick to providing valuable contributions to this (and other) threads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks