What's new

Colossus: The Forbin Project coming from Universal (1 Viewer)

Paul Linfesty

Stunt Coordinator

While CHARLEY VARRICK had a "Filmed in Panavision" credit, it was actually shot spherically, with an intended projection ratio of 1.85 to 1. Whether it was shot open matte or not, I don't know.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I just do not understand the thinking behind a Full Frame release of Colossos - these movies only appeal to the collector anyway!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Likewise. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I'll stay with my WS Laserdisc. It is sad that these Studio people just don't care!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i have to agree with Jeff U- hold yer horsies for a few beats.
its very likely that the CSR just went to the same website and read the same information.

when in a month, if all the retailers are soliciting these as full frame, then you guys can go ballistic.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
If Universal screw these two films up, I'll be one angry bunny.

The weird thing is, they are creating new anamorphic transfer for films like Silent Running, Andromeda Strain, Scarface, Field of Dreams, Animal House, The Thing, Dracula '79 and so on, so it would be paradoxical of Universal to start putting out DVDs with pan and scan transfers.

Again, it must be noted that Splitting Heirs will be in anamorphic widescreen. Hardly a cult classic, is it?

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully time will prove the details wrong and the films will be released in their true OAR. As much as I would love to see Forbin (never seen before, but the premise sounds interesting) and I love Charley Varrick with a superb central performance, I shall not be buying any of these titles (however cheap) if not shown in their original aspect ratio and 16:9 enhanced where applicable. I have too little money and there is too much good material out there (Warners' releases spring to mind), to waste hard earned money on pan and scan rubbish. Hopefully, if enough people voice their disgust at pan and scan, studios will get the message.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I just visited Universal's website and informed them about what I have read here on Home Theater Forum concerning Colossus: The Forbin Project.

I told them that unless a movie is presented in OAR, I will not purchase the title and I also invited them here to get a perspective on what their customers expect.

I expect they are changing Forbin over from P&S to the OAR even as I type this out! :D

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I also sent a message to Universal to tell them I was not pleased with the prospect of Full Frame transfers.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
If we all had that sort of "personal power" then I certainly would use it to get what I wanted! :D :emoji_thumbsup: Unfortunately I'm merely mortal & completely unimportant in the scheme of things in the DVD World much less the real World. All I can hope for is that these COMPLETELY MISGUIDED people at NBC/Universal do the right thing & release this in the correct AR.

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait to get my hands on a DVD of Colossus. What an underappreciated, little known gem of a film!

Of course, if it's P&S, I won't even think of touching it.

Jonathan.e

Stunt Coordinator
Colossus now shipping from DeepDiscount. I’ll not get it for a couple of weeks so anyone here brave/foolish enough to also have taken a chance please put me/us out of our misery ASAP.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
More sad news for COLOSSUS fans: Michel Colombier, the composer of the film's distinctive score, died last Sunday (11/14) at age 65.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks