What's new

College student needs cheapest possible solution for complete hi-fi system (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Amen Kieran. It drives me crazy to hear the folks over at Best Buy say HDTV is much better than a standard 4:3 set because they are digital.
SHADDAP!!
Why why why in the world did advertising choose to call analog sets with higher resolution & a wider screen digital???

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I'm not sure how it compares to Kenwood in terms of sound quality, but the RCA RT2500 has piqued my curiosity. eCOST has it for $300, and it looks like it can do everything the Kenwood HTB-504 can and more.
Specs:
Link Removed
He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

The cheapest solution is forgetting Hi-Fi exists and enjoy the phonograph. :p
------------------
HT sound is always better when you just sit back and listen!

Seriously though, I have the RCA receiver one model below the one you are mentioning. The only difference is less watts and no DTS. I have enjoyed having the s-video connectivity, assignibility of audio inputs(analog, optical, coaxial) and when properly calibrated it provides a good setup for mid to small areas. But if I was to go 40" or larger, I would go with a component video receiver and tv. That aside, the system comes with mediocre speakers, I swapped those out immediately, if you can get the receiver seperate, DO SO, and buy some Energys or thereabouts. But a good value, to answer your question.
[Edited last by Sean W. Evans on July 25, 2001 at 08:11 PM]

Eric Baugh

Auditioning
Kieran, thanks for the kind words, and point taken on "digital." I was using the term in a more fundamental sense of "using calculation by discrete units," but the modern connotation is what most people would think of. Edit away!
I was going to post an addendum to the fact that a 16:9 ratio screen actually reduces the horizontal resolution as expressed by TVL by a factor of (4/3)*(9/16) = 0.75 (or 25%), but I thought that would be even more confusing. However, for completeness, considering the active picture area for 4:3 and 16:9 AR images, with a DVD source of 500 TVL for 4:3, here are the TVL resolutions (vertical x horizontal):
full frame: 480 x 500
letterbox: 360 x 375
anamorphic: 480 x 375
In all three cases there would be 500*(4/3) or 375*(16/9) or 667 vertical lines on screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks