What's new

college home theater pictures (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Hi all, my roommate just bought a new Pioneer 5.1 receiver, so we decided to rearrange our college dorm living room. I just wanted to share some pics with you all. Tell me what you think.
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~bdobbs1/TEMP/
We are using the TV's speakers as our center channel. Our components are as follows...
Pioneer VSX - 710s 5.1 receiver
Sony STRDE135 stereo receiver (to power the subs)
Zenith 5 disc changer (CDR, CDRW, mp3)
Magnavox 46" projection TV
thanks

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Is that a pair of woofers under the couch?!?! :) You guys must have a decent size dorm room... since I don't see any beds in there.
Calvin,
HTs in dorms are great for studying, IMO anyway.... I used to put movies in while I did my HW, great distractions when you got mad at that annoying math problem.
Nothing beats being down with school and moving out of those tiny dorms ;-)
Brian

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Ok, so how many noise complaints have you gotten from your neighbors??????

Seriously, though, it looks like you have a nice set-up for what appears to be a small room.

Man in my day I was psyched to have a receiver and CD player in my dorm room......

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
hey folks, thanks for your replies. In fact, that is a center living room that I share with my roommate and 2 other suitemates (who I call my roommates anyway). Our dorm is only a few years old, so everything is bigger and newer. The pair of subs under the couch and the 2 cabinets to either side of the TV (all blue) I made with my dad. They all have a 12" subs. The Sony stereo receiver is supplying the power for those.

Actually, the girls directly upstairs have called and/or stopped by our room quite a few times and complained. They not only hear the bass, but they said they could feel it! They said that they got migraines, but I was like, YES! I have the POWER!! I felt like He-Man for a moment. Although nothing official has been done to restrain our loudness, we don't play anything loud once it gets really late.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Did you by chance upload the backup html file (eg index.bak) by mistake??? Just wondering.

Is that last pic your sub/bass shaker?

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I just uploaded my pictures to my webspace in my school account in a folder I created. The last picture is of the cabinet that holds 2 out of the 4 12" woofers used for the bass output from the 5.1 receiver. Call it whatever you want, but I can tell you it sure does shake everything, including the girls upstairs!

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
I have been harping about this for a long time but it works, place your subs on a concrete slab, you can get a 16"x16"x2" slab from Home depot for 2$. This should stop the bass from getting to your neighbors. Worked very well for me. Throw a keg party now and then too. That will keep them happy.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks