What's new

Collected shorts of Jan Svankmajer, June 10 (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dvdtoons.com/news/385

Volume 1 includes: "The Fall of the House of Usher," "A Game with Stones," "Et cetera," "Punch and July," "The Flat," "Picnic with Weissmann," "A Quiet Week in the House."

Volume 2 includes: "Dimensions of Dialogue," "Down to the Cellar," "The Pendlum, the Pit and Hope," "Meat Love," "Flora," "The Death of Stalinism in Bohemia," "Food."

Bit pricey though.

WillardK

Second Unit
Thanks for that info! I was wondering about the possible overlap with the shorts included on a couple of feature dvd's. It looks like "Food" is the only redundancy and I'm certain there are a number I haven't seen before ever. A definite buy for me! :)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Sounds cool. I discovered Swankmajer with Faust. Any word on that or Alice being released? Or have they been already?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Still a fair number of shorts remain unreleased. And with "Meat Love" and "Flora" being very short shorts ("Flora" is just 20 seconds; don't recall how long "Meat Love" is), it seems that the $30 tag is somewhat unjustified, at least per the number of shorts contained. Oh well, better than nothing.

First Run Features released Alice on DVD three years ago this week. Kino released Faust half a year before that. Both are still in print.
Plus, his two other features are both out on DVD as well, FYI.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
with "Meat Love" and "Flora" being very short shorts ("Flora" is just 20 seconds; don't recall how long "Meat Love" is), it seems that the $30 tag is somewhat unjustified, at least per the number of shorts contained.
Image lists the running time of Vol. 1 as 86 minutes and Vol. 2 as 90 minutes. That's comparable to a feature-length movie.

The Faust DVD is 97 minutes and retails for the same price. The Alice DVD, containing the 91-minute film and a short, also retails for the same price. It's the same story with Conspirators of Pleasure (83 minutes). Only Little Otik (126 minutes) features a longer movie and more substantial extras.

Why the beef with the number of shorts on the Image discs when the content and price are essentially the same as the other Svankmajer DVDs?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Another collection of Svankmajer shorts was just released. For those that missed it:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GTJSAI/

THis, in addition to the previous two-disc release by Kino, covers almost all shorts. If i'm not mistaken, only two remain in limbo, for whatever reason, and it's unfortunate they couldn't have been added.

WillardK

Second Unit
Yes! I've been waiting for this. I was hoping that Jabberwocky would be included (the sequence with the puzzle blocks and the cat jumping through is one of my favorites from any of his films).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks